lyptus wood

Has anyone used Weyerhaeuser's lyptus wood for furniture or flooring? I saw Rockler sold it and had the same information that the Weyerhaeuser website had. I most want to know how it works for furniture. It seems the stuff is hard to get. Here in Columbus, OH we can get any kind of wood under the sun, but nobody's heard of it. I'm talking 500+ bf quantity, not just the little bit Rockler sells.

thanks, Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Jeff,

Here is one definition I found by Googling. All I did was type in Lyptus wood in the search bar. Found many but this sounds like what you want.

ROYNEU

hi Jeff

I have used lyptus many times. Its somewhat like cherry, machines well, leaves a crisp edge and when finished is a redish brown. Now I have used it both for indoor projects and out door projects and its holding up well.I'm around balitmore and here it's easy to get and is one of the cheaper woods.

Len

Reply to
leonard

I have used it on several projects, and I plan to use more of it. The wood is hard and dense, but because of the rapid growth rate, the fiber structure structure is not very tight. This means that it tends to splinter when cutting, especially when cutting or routing end grain. It does have some oil or resin in it, so there is some tendency to burn with dull tools, thickness sanding, drilling, or slow feed rates when cutting. The color is wonderful ,almost pink and it reddens nicely with age. You will find it almost impossible to get boards that will be one solid color across a whole table top. A card scraper leaves a wonderful surface, almost burnished. It sands nicely, glues nicely, and takes lacquer nicely. I haven't tried an oil finish yet. The price is a lot less than cherry. It is available only in 4/4 and 8/4 boards for now. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

As we speak. No ones heard about it in Winnipeg, Mb either, but I got a first look at finished flooring samples and at a small chunk of it in the rough about 2 yrs ago. My daughter works with Weyerhaeuser and scored some Lyptus for me - about 300 bf at a very good price. All of it 2 by random. Perhaps this is a gloat.

I was going to redo my kitchen with it, but when I unloaded the pile, I was worn out by the time I got to the last board. This stuff is 'very' heavy and I'm thinking that as raised panel doors they may be too heavy. It will likely end up as furniture and sawdust.

There's a fellow in Minnisota (do a look up with Excite) who is selling the stuff by the 10th of a bf. His price works out to 17.70 per bf, and I think he's aiming a pen and keychain makers.

From the look of the wood, I expect to get lots of splinters (like Oak), dull a few edges sooner (like hard maple), and kill myself trying to lift the finished pieces around.

Try calling Weyerhaeuser directly and ask who in your area is on their customer list. Then see if that customer (your retailer) will bring some in for you. Because the Lyptus is random, you buy what you want and not a whole lift. While I paid mostly wholesale, you will likely pay mostly retail. According to a Weyerhaeuser salesman, the price should rival Cherry per bf.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

The lumber yard I frequent for large orders here in Portland, Or stocks the stuff. I picked up a slab they glued up for a client who changed their mind, and have yet to touch it really. In other words i can't comment on how it works.

It was way cheaper than cherry, I don't recall right now how much. I think $3 a bf, where cherry from the same place if 6.50 or so. They refer to it as "lift-this" The three by three 6/4 slab i have is "hard" for me to lift. Meaning nearly impossible. Not that I'm Goliath or anything, but I would guess it's weight in the 140lb range. I really don't know what I am going to do with it.

Seems like a great material for flooring, less suited for furniture to me.

Andrew

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

I get it from Cross Cut Hardwoods here in Eugene, and the retail is about $4.40 per bf. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy