Lyptus wood

I was wondering if anyone else had done any projects with Lyptus wood. I like the color, and the price. It seems to be oxidizing out fairly nicely. When drilling, even with sharp bits, it tends to burn at higher speeds. Some burning on the table saw. A card scraper leaves a beautiful surface. The wood does seem to be very splintery. I also noticed that when routing a profile on the edges, there was unexpected end grain tearout. It finished and glued up nicely. Over all impression was that although dense, the fiber wasn't too well connected to itself, kind of like it grew too fast. It reminds me of the difference between old growth and new growth wood. I am just curious if anyone else has had much esperience with it. robo hippy

I haven't, but might if I could get hold of some...where you getting it? Seems to be pretty hard to come by.
Jason
Jason Quick says...

I've seen it at Woodcraft for about $4.50/bf. I liked the color too. I'll try it some day.
I used it for a while, its cheap works well.I like the color too.what else do you want to know?
len
I got mine through Cross Cut Hardwoods here in Eugene. The bigger specialty hardwood places have it. I seem to remember googleing it and coming up with a distributers list, and then finding it here locally. Comes in 4/4, and 8/4 stock. I'd like some log chunks to turn, and Wheyerhauser said,"Well, can you go down to Brazil?" I have turnde a few spindles out of it, and it turns nicely.
What else do I want to know? I am suspicious of bio-engineered products, and it didn't seem too weird to me. I am just curious as to what others think about it. Price here at retail was about $4.00 bf. robo hippy
leonard wrote:

How about stability and rot-resistance? Just wondering if it might be suitable for boat trim or an outdoor glider, for example.
--

FF

I have never used it in my "inexperience" but I think I have read that it is a genetically engineered tree that is farmed, grown on plantations in south America... just for the purpose of you using it. I saw it at a local builder supply, nice and hard, great color too.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvk said: I just finished a large project with Lyptus. Other than a very highly resonated wood, ..."
What does "resonated" mean?
On 12 Jun 2005 08:54:50 -0700, the inscrutable "Never Enough Money"

Unless he was referring to a nice tone it had when he hammered it, I'm sure he meant "resinous" or "resinated" instead of the implied "resonant" wood, as used by musical instrument builders. ;)
--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done. http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Hmmm. I have some lyptus and there's hardly any resin or resonance.
I think he ment 'resin'. This would explain the tendency of it to burn while cutting and drilling. It isn't like teak, or cocobolo in that it causes problems with glue up or finishing, more like cherry. robo hippy
I think he ment 'resin'. This would explain the tendency of it to burn while cutting and drilling. It isn't like teak, or cocobolo in that it causes problems with glue up or finishing, more like cherry. robo hippy

Naw, that was Ken, not me.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Yes. Same thing. It is brittle. It did grow to fast. That is one of it's "features". It grows to harvestable height in about fifteen years.