Lye in S.E. America?

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:22:17 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

The manufacturer's product page is <http://www.reckittprofessional.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId &searchType=BPL&template=1>. There is a "where to buy" link off of that but I'm not clear if it is for that product specifically or for all products from the manufacturer.
On the other hand it would not surprise me if some coalition of blue-haired ladies had a tantrum and persuaded the stores to stop selling it.
FWIW, Fisher and Sargent-Welch both list various grades of sodium hydroxide pellets, however I have no idea what restrictions they place on ordering.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

<http://www.reckittprofessional.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId &searchType=BPL&template=1>.
"Lye is commonly available in grocery stores "
No so in my area. Red Devil is no longer carried by the stores here. Lord knows, I've tried and called 'round.
However, FYI, I did find an approach that relies upon Arm & Hammer Baking Soda or Laundry Soda in lieu of the "Lye" [Sodium Hydroxide] to derust items.
Subsequent posts explain why it has been "pulled from the shelves."

Not sure when my latest purchase of lye was, but it was less than 1 year ago. Just for the hell of it I will check in a few stores tomorrow.
resrfglc wrote:

Not interested in it for WOOD, but for electrolytic'ly removing rust - didn't mention the intended use to try and keep everyone on topic.
I've looked in ACE and HOME DEPOT and LOWES for Red Devil (as I, too, rememberthat brand and wish I could find it.) without success.
Thanks for the feedback

resrfglc wrote:

It appears Red Devil Lye was discontinued about a year ago. Here's a link to an article by a soap makers suggesting sources for lye:
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/coldprocesssoapmaking/a/lyesources.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Washing soda works well for that purpose, too, and isn't anywhere nearly as hazardous.
--
Regards,