lumens versus eye age

from my own observations i expect that there is a curve that fits to lumens needed and eye age

hopefully lumens needed levels off and we do not take down the local power grid turning on the lights

or we just cannot see enough to work wood and call it quits

this is where the talking shop tools come into play

am still thinking about the talking table saw fence and might not be hard to do

i know there is a blind guy or gal that does wood working

Reply to
Electric Comet

A professor of mine used to do remodel consulting and he would comment how many (commercial) customers would request more lighting. There are standards for Lumen levels depending on the business (banks are quite high). He said that more often than not. the lighting fixture density was up to spec, it just was the tubes and light diffusers were very dusty. I know when I clean my fixtures/bulbs every few years, the light in the shop seems much brighter. Dust gets _everywhere_! You may not want to hear it, but after a sanding session, I can use nose buggers as spackle and get a perfect color match. 8^)

I've "discovered" the concept of task lighting to help my eyes. Some well placed spot lighting on the TS, router, and other saws really helps.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

bright lights make people leave sooner

still need to get a better one for the lathe though

Reply to
Electric Comet

There is but it's probably not what you think it is. Generally, the older you are the lower the range of focus (presbyopia). A more intense light causes the pupil to constrict, which increases the depth of field - you don't have to focus as closely/accurately/at-all to see clearly. Of course, cataracts will cut down on the light entering the eye, as well. AIUI, from cataract patients, modern cataract surgery fixes both problems.

How about one of the Wixey digital fences? I have one and like it, except the head has a lifespan of about a year. :-(

"Stumpy"?

Reply to
krw

IDK but seems unbalanced IMHO.

I disagree, depending on the business.

One of the first things I will comment on in a restaurant is the poor lighting. How the hell do you expect us to read a menu in the dark? Ergo... the flashlight on my phone comes out, I comment to the wait staff and or management, then I either leave or never return.

My 2 Cents.

Reply to
Casper

re: Restaurant lights

While I agree that reading a menu in low light can be an issue, I do like the ambiance of *eating* in low light. For me, it keeps the outside world out, even if that outside world is only a few feet away. The time spent perusing the menu is probably shorter than every other "activity" involved with a dinner out.

May I suggest these? Wearable and standable.

DerbyDad03

probably true and was thinking high volume eateries

they want them to eat and leave asap so another can come up to the trough

bright lights makes people leave sooner

Reply to
Electric Comet

The dim lighting in a restaurant tends to keep the noise level down too.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, when lighting is subdued, people tend to be more subdued too and talk a bit quieter.

Of course total darkness changes that. I hear peoplel screaming "oh god, oh god, don't stop"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Right. Some restaurants are designed to be bright and loud to turn tables. Others, for ambiance. The two models have a different cost/price structure.

Reply to
krw

Different menu.

Reply to
krw

What?

SWMBO and I were walking the dog around dusk a few weeks ago. As we walked past a house with open windows we heard a female voice. "Oh my God! Oh my God! Ohhhh myyyy Goddddd!"

We figured she was getting in an early evening prayer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, they were already enjoying their choice off the desert menu.

Reply to
Leon