Lumber source

I am looking for a source of good lumber in the Louisville Kentucky = area. The Lowes has Red oak and Home Depot has red oak and some maple = but good gawd they think the stuff is gold. Anyone have insight into = where I should go future scrap hunting ? Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Thanks Joey

Reply to
Puff Griffis

I'm originally from Owensboro so I'm not familiar w/ any local sawmills in your neck of the woods. But woodfinder.com shows about six lumber sources w/in 10 miles of the Lousville area. Joey

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Puff, are you looking for finished or rough cut stuff? I'm in Louisville too. I've got a helluva good place down in E-town. There's also a place over between Simpsonville and Shelbyville on Highway 60. I don't recall the name, I just found it the other day. Drop me an email. The address is right. BTW, I use mostly rough cut stuff and mill my own.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Jerry, From time to time I am looking for rough sawed lumber. Do you have a name for the "Helluva" good place in E-town. I get by Shelbyville often so I will check that one out. Thanks for any help you can provide. Not trying to horn in on your stash if it is a small mill. If you like, e-mail me off-list. Thanks Lyndell New Albany IN

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Please post it. I get by E-town myself quite a bit when I'm visiting my sisters who both live in Nicholasville and I'm always on the look out for bargain lumber.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

No I don't mind giving up my source guy's. Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply, it's a work thing you know. His name is J.F. Conder, building and hardwood lumber, Ph. 502-737-7291. He's a real good guy, but you just can't depend on the pricing. It kinda depends on how much he's had to drink :-) Not saying there's anything wrong with that!!!! He usually has a pretty good supply of all the native woods to the area. I've gotten several, several hundred feet of cherry, walnut, and maple from him. He's got a few hundred feet of poplar cut and in his home made kiln for me to make some crown molding for the house. I just got to find time to get down there and pick it up. If any of you would like to email me, I can give you directions, as he's kind of hard to find, and when you call, he's not real specific with directions. Or my old man isn't one or the other. I had him, my dad, call him when I first found out about him, and dad gave me some real vague directions. Don't know if something got lost in the transfer or not. I'm glad I grew up in the area. We used to ride them back roads throwing Miller pony bottles at road signs. That was when a dui meant a slap on the hand, and being followed home by a cop to make sure you got there ok. As I said, email me if you all have any questions or want directions or anything. Just take out NOSPAM. Good luck.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath