Lumber Rack Storage System

Page 2 of 2

Patriarch wrote:

10'+ tall. I do have a 6' crosscut saw that might be able to cut it, if there was a way to set it on blocks to do the cutting, assuming I could last long enough for the 4 cuts needed, and find someone, or several someones, foolish enough to run the other end of the saw. Joe

Block & tackle? Forklift? Chain saw? Levers?
You visit here and wonder if you could find a few fools? Not been paying close attention, have you?
Patriarch, one of many...
Patriarch wrote:

forklift, sinks in so far when it tried to pick it up last time it couldn't move. Maybe when it dries out a little. Half rounds from the trunk to support the top, sounds interesting. Joe
I used the 12 inch grey painted brackets that screw directly to the wall and ment to hold shelves. They are $1.27 or so at the borg. Placed ever other stud they will hold a lot of weight. I have three rows of four each of these and they are holding over 1/2 load of a small pickup truck of oak. Of course they are not adjustable but the price is right.

Some extra information about this rack system This is the same type supports that the telephone companies use in their manholes and offices to support cables. They will hold a huge amount of weight and they use all different sizes of the brackets, from the short 6" ones to the longer 16 and longer. You might check at any of the storerooms around your area and talk with any of the foreman there to see if you can scrounge through their metal scrap bins to salvage some of the thrown away hangers and uprights. Once they pull them out.. they are tossed and usually a scrap company comes by once in a while and picks up the scrap metal to get it out of their way Some of the racks may have to be cleaned, but usually the galvanized metal is in very good condition and can be salvaged and easily used. A little looking around your local area's may get you a rack system like this for the price of a little time only With that in mind, check with some of the salvage yards also, They may be one that is picking up the scrap matal and will probably sell it by the pound rather cheeply CC

I work for the local telco, I park 20ft from the metal scrap bin. In nine years I've scavenged a grand total of four of the longer wall straps. Two were bent, all were mangled on the ends when they were driven into the ground as temporary supports while splicing damaged cables. I've found two short 4" brackets - I think someone cleaned out their truck and tossed what they never used. This is an excellent system, but once installed in a manhole or cable vault, it stays in place just about forever. I got mine from Lee Valley. Prices are about the same at the various woodworking catalogs, but check prices on shipping - these are VERY heavy.
If you get this system, take the time to level the brackets. I used a straight edge across three or four at a time, first at the wall, and again near the tips. At the wall, loosen the lag bolts and slide the straps up or down, retighten the lag bolts. The angles on the brackets can vary a bit, making a difference of a 1/4" or more at the tip. Find the high tips, and lightly grind the back bottom edge where it presses against the wall strap. Failure to establish a plane across the brackets WILL result in wavy lumber.
Thanks. That sounds like good advise.
Ronnie
I fastened a 1 x 4 to every other stud on one wall in my shop then drilled holes to accept short pieces of 1/2" pipe. Drilled through the 1 x 4, drywall, and about 1-1/2" into the stud. Stuck short pieces of 1/2" pipe in and loaded it up. Drilled the holes at a slight angle so to precamber for the load.
cost very little, works very well.
Wall has not fallen in yet.
Frank
On 11 Jul 2005 06:42:47 -0700, "shooter"

Go to Home Depot they have the same system, that's what i did and works fine. Good Luck!