Lumber Rack Storage System

Page 1 of 2

Woodcraft has this model http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid931 for about $165.00. I need to be able to go up against a wall like this one does. Has anyone used this or has another option I should consider?
Thanks in advance.
Ronnie Aldrich Birmingham, Alabama

How many tubafors can you buy for $165?
Patriarch
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:01:50 -0500, the opaque Patriarch

'boutahunnert.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

I got very similar for a lot less money from Grizzly. I can do chin-ups on the 12" brackets. IIRC earlier this year I bought 4-4" standards, 12-12" brackets, and 4-18" brackets for about $110.00 delivered. Look here http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H2535

on
Don't know about cost or quality, but I've seen similar brackets available at Home Depot. As a matter of fact, the HD I go to was using them for some of their racks.
wrote in message

The Grizzly ones that I bought are very heavy duty. The steel is 3/16" thick.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p2144&cat=1,43326
The supported brackets eat too much space, but it 14" depth is enough for your application, then item C (14" double bracket) could get you a similar system. I ddi not do the math on the woodcraft set, but the individual pieces are considerably more expensive than the LV. Personally I would rather have a shelving system with all the same depth shelves.
-Steve

Why in the world would you pay big bucks for one when you can build your own out of 5 or 6 2x4's and scrap lumber for 10 bucks or so??

For me the 5 or 6 2 x's would cost $26. The steel ones from Grizzly are about $110 but you get adjustability with out needing tools to move the brackets and the brackets are only about 1" tall where the 2x4's are taking up much more space at 3.5" per bracket. With 4 shelves you loose 14 inches of storage height vs. 4". For me that was worth the price difference.
Easy, if you design with a front support. This means that long boards need to be threaded in from the end or at an angle. This would not be possible if your lumber rack were on a 12' wall.
Would a 2x4 handle a fully cantilevered design? If it did how deep you you make your verticle members? A 2-by on the flat would not have enough meat in front of the fastener for my taste. Idunno, but it sounds like a reasonable appllication for steel to me.
-Steve

own

When I built my shed, I doubled up the wall studs on one wall (at 0', 4' and 8'). I notched the inside faces of each paired stud with a 3/4" deep by 3.5" high by 3.5" wide notch. Insert an 18" length of two-by-four, secure with a couple of 16d sinkers and you have a cantilevered lumber storage rack. Have three levels, at 1' from the floor, 2.5' and 4' from the floor. Each holds an amazing amount of lumber.

Scott,
It sounds as though you have a you have a good design that works well for you. I was certainly incorrect to question the carrying capacity of a cantelievered 2x4.
However, the point of post was to refute wzhat was suggested by Dave's post that it was silly to invest in a steel rack system. I was trying to point out that a 2x4-based system is not the best choice in some cases.
In my shop, by lumber storage rack is above my jointer. I have less than 3 verticle feet of wall space to work with. Also, I have finished walls (Sheetrock). Unless I tore apart the walls, the verticles would be proud of the wall. It may sound silly, but an extra 3"x10' is a footprint which I would rather not surrrender in my shop.
-Steve

your

Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3 vertical 2x4s attached to the floor & ceiling joists. 3' apart (like wall studs).
Drilled 1" holes, 16" apart, in the edges at 5 degree angle (pointing up - prevents stock from slipping off) and slipped 12" lengths of 1" pipe into the holes
Ken
I built mine out of 2x4's and liquid nails etc. I braced the shelves with 2x4". My shelves are 2 feet a part and 18 inches deep. I have 4 shelves which is adequate for me. Not bad for 10 or 12 bucks. Any scraps that I needed I got by diving into a contractors dumpster in our subdivision. There's a bunch of houses being built around here. I also got some nice cherry and oak boards out of em.

Ken Johnsen wrote:

Was this plumbing pipe or EMT? I seem to recall one using EMT but can't find it again. I need a rack but only want to make it once. Joe
Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3

wall
up -

into
I used iron pipe, per the instructions. Just checked and it's 7/8" od 5/8" id
Ken Johnsen wrote:

Thanks, time to get out the crowbar, small, and start organizing the shed. Then I work on the upgrade from shop to studio. Joe
<snip>

The upgrade from shop to studio is one of the mind, the heart, and your skillsets.
Some of the better artists I've met have much more modest facilities than I.
Patriarch, working on it...
Patriarch wrote:

Yes, I need to change from coll^H^H^H^H gathering handplanes and put them to use, and resume practicing hand cut dovetails. I have managed to acquire a potential benchtop. Live oak slab 5" x 24" x 5'. Just need to trim the ends and design a support structure to hold it. I'm ignoring the 'how to lift it to the top of the legs' for now. Joe
<snip>

Couple of stumps would look cool...