lumber prices

I always thought plywood was less costly than hardwood and was surprised wh en I set out to buy both for a little project. 2x4 sheet of birch-faced 3/ 4 ply at Menard's -- $18 and change or about $3 a board foot. 4/4 hard map le at my yard select & better $2.25 BF. Previous experience with Menard's ply tells me that I can expect some voids as I cut my pieces.
Larry
"Gramp's shop" wrote in message

Seems to me they are the same price... 18/8= 2.25 and assuming the are both finished to 3/4. There is often an upcharge for less than full sheets of ply so depending on how much you need the ply can end up cheaper and maybe require less labor (there is a huge "it depends" that goes with that).
Gramp's shop wrote, On 5/30/2013 11:04 AM:

I set out to buy both for a little project. 2x4 sheet of birch-faced 3/4 ply at Menard's -- $18 and change or about $3 a board foot. 4/4 hard maple at my yard select & better $2.25 BF. Previous experience with Menard's ply tells me that I can expect some voids as I cut my pieces.

It's costly because you are buying sucker wood...wood that they have cut into nice little pieces for you.
You can buy a 4' x 8' sheet of birch ply for about $48. And they will even cut it into 2' x 4' pieces for free if you want.
Be aware that the stuff the borgs sell is usually C3. Definitely not the world's best but OK if you aren't fussy
--
dadiOH

Here is a place that sells a "lot" of plywood with the typical prices at different grades.
The grades are also explained:
http://boulterplywood.com/
$50 birch plywood is typical d3 or d4 paint grade.
On 5/30/2013 8:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I paid $50 for lumber core maple last month and pay 1.55 for 5/4 FAS poplar surfaced and straight line ripped on one edge. I forget what I paid for12/4 ash for the legs on the beds So those prices don't seem out of line
On Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:51:34 PM UTC-4, ChairMan wrote:

(snip)
How was the quality? Lotta voids? Last stuff I bought several years ago (10?) was brutal.

Actually wasn't too bad, no more voids than half the crap you get with the multi-ply. Maybe I just got lucky
dadiOH wrote:

I recently bought a sheet of Purebond Oak-veneered plywood, C3, from Home Depot and was pleasantly surprised. It was still $47, but that's what you pay for the words "Formaldehyde-free". The A grade stuff is about $99 (not stocked).
Making Corn Hole boards?
On 5/30/2013 11:04 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

I set out to buy both for a little project. 2x4 sheet of birch-faced 3/4 ply at Menard's -- $18 and change or about $3 a board foot. 4/4 hard maple at my yard select & better $2.25 BF. Previous experience with Menard's ply tells me that I can expect some voids as I cut my pieces.

Consider - the maple came from the states and the plywood from Chile.
Martin