Lumber Liquidators Weekend Sale / Rosewood / Bamboo / etc.

Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell off their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28 sq. ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with bamboo this year.

Reply to
kimosabe

Lumber Liquidators is having their yearly sale in which they sell off their odd boxes. Last year they were selling boxes of approx. 28 sq. ft (or whatever a std. box holds) for five bucks a box.

It's all tongue and groove flooring. The problem is figuring out another use for it. Anyway, it makes an easy way to experiment with bamboo this year.

Push come to shove, it would make good kindling.

Reply to
Leon

Did you buy any and use it? Does it have all 3' pieces? Or is it six 3' pieces on top of one hundred 1' pieces, like the stuff I recently installed?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Masked Man:

As a covering on another underlying material, you can do interesting decorative things with boxes and picture frames.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

You can also use it to make "desk chair mats" to replace those plastic desk chair mats that wear out and start cracking every 12 months or so.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Some good ideas.

The box came with mixed lengths. The shortest were about eighteen inches, a few were six feet, and the rest were in-between sizes. It isn't just stuff they have lying around, it's the regularly packaged flooring.

Last year I bought one box of Honduran Rosewood and ended up making a tool board out of it. I bought one pkg. of Oak, but have been uninspired to do anything with it. A note I wrote to myself on a calendar was to use it to weigh down the new vapor barrier in the crawlspace.

At five bucks a box, I almost feel that I can't justify not buying some.

Reply to
kimosabe

If it's the pre-finished stuff which the factory covered with their rock hard wonder finish be careful. Three feet of that stuff will trash a set of HSS jointer or planer knives. DAMHIKT. I've yet to find a chemical striper which will touch the stuff. SiC sandpaper will do the job but you'll go thru a bunch of it. Fire does a wonderful job on it. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Floor a wall. Make some beautiful paneling in a game room...

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

ME:

The wainscoting is a cool idea. Built in book cases, columns, hollow columns with shelves that are exposed when swivled....

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Bamboo should all be longer pieces. It's manufactured so there are no odds in short pieces. The stuff I bought a few years back was all 6'.

Reply to
krw

That's the stuff. I didn't know the finish was going to be that much of a hassle.

How resistant is bamboo to resawing? I tried resawing some of the rosewood on the bandsaw and the table saw. Things didn't go well and I don't want to do that to my blades again.

Reply to
kimosabe

Bamboo contains lots of silica which is really hard on steel and carbide. It's probably only 2 or 3 times as bad as rosewood.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bamboo canes are usually split with some sort of froelike instrument. Not sure if you could split laminated bamboo flooring planks.

Reply to
Father Haskell

=20

I've had good luck with 'fire' in the sense that application of a blowtorch or hotair gun lets me scrape the finish off in a quick swipe.

The bamboo I've seen is three plies, glued together. I wouldn't resaw it. The splinters were a big problem for me, too..

Reply to
whit3rd