Lumber coming tomorrow...

Page 2 of 2
On 1/1/2013 3:18 PM, Swingman wrote:

I'm jealous. I suck at any drawing, even sketchup. I was never very good in drafting classes in school. Just passable. I could visualize it, but it never looked like what I saw in my head... always just off.
I used autocad way back when, had problems with that too. Since I could never see what I was drawing, scrolling back and forth...
I have tried sketchup a couple of times, and I just don't have that ability. I find it slow, cumbersome, and still looks like hell compared to my mental image.
I wind up drawing a rough (very rough sketch) putting notes about things that will trip me up. sometimes the order of things so that I don't jump ahead then wind up with something that can't be worked on once assembled.
I wish I could do sketchup.
tiredofspam wrote:

You are more experienced than me, so please just take my words in the thoughtful spirit with which they are intended.
You don't expect perfection on your first model of an item do you? Being creative inherently involves taking a chance So design must be an iterative process. Take what can learn from history, the work of others, your previous designs, listen to what you think, and what Swingman, Leon and others say, and cheerfully go where no man has gone before! : )
SketchUp is not too slow once you get used to it, depending on what you are trying to do of course. As suggested in the previous post, I'm still trying to use it "right"-by making appropriate use of *components*. I usually start off on the right foot and then violate the rule before I'm finished. I use the software about once a month or so. I'm am due to de-design my "entertainment center", and I think about molding whenever my mind is clear. Gosh, it wasn't so long ago that I never thought about molding! ; )
IIRC, the work "art" and "craft" were derived from the same word (implying their relation). If anything thinks I might have that wrong, I will happily look op my source ~a book on architectural wood carving currently in another room. Have fun!
Cheers, Bill

On 12/31/2012 7:15 AM, Amy Guarino wrote:

Actually, SU is precision personified, but yours is quite a common first reaction for almost all of us who use the product.
Most download it and reinstall about three times before the light finally comes on ... my initial reaction was that it was simply too cartoonish to be of any value (I have an inherent dislike of cartoons, of any kind).
Damn, was I wrong. :)
And, besides using it for all eWoodShop projects the past six years, a few years back I built a $350k custom home for a client using SketchUp for all construction, bidding and permit documents, including the Framing Plan. The Foundation Plan was done by the PE, but I did 3D model the foundation for bidding and fabrication since it was so unique:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods#5828130533148423618
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/Foundation
When that light finally comes on, and the value of being able to view a 3D model for design and concise fabrication details ...particularly for those of us missing the designer gene ... there is no way you will ever go back in the shop, or embark upon a new construction project, without first doing a bit of 3D modeling ... the benefits are simply too huge to ignore.

Now, imagine being able to do an accurate virtual walk-around and get many different perspectives before you cast the thing in concrete.

You'll do just fine ... those of us who have "seen the light" simply like to do a bit of preaching on all aspects of the woodworking religion. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

When I first started with Sketchup I couldn't get it to do anything right, until I read some here. Someone mentioned that it's NOT a CAD program, rather a 3-D MODELING program. Thinking about that statement for a while got my mind twisted around to understanding what I was doing. The next time I picked up Sketchup the whole thing became obvious.
You have to think about building objects, not making measurements. The measurements come later.

You'll find a 3D model will be far more accurate and will allow more complicated projects.

Have fun. After all, that's the whole point. OTOH, after using Sketchup, I'd never go back to 2D drawings.

That would probably be moi ... I kept having to repeatedly point that out to Robatoy in our many initial argum... err, conversations about SketchUp.
Bless his heart, that boy sure liked to push buttons when given the opportunity. :)
We miss you, Bubba ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

+1
--
Best regards
Han

LOL, no kidding, no more drawing hidden lines where you think they should go.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in
*snip*

I bounce back and forth at times. Sometimes I'll take the 2D drawing and redo it in Sketchup, and other times I'll take the Sketchup model and redo it in 2D. There are just some things that lend themselves better to one format or another.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 12/31/2012 2:08 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Just in case you are not aware, you can make Sketchup show your 3D drawing in 2D if you click a view other than ISO and change Camera to Parallel Projection.