lumber

Any good sources for lumber? Since I moved to California I am being held hostage to the lumber yards. They actually sell this stuff by the linear foot. Had some shipped from Alabama and still came out better. But after all the storms in the south I thinks that's out. Any help would be appreciated.
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:52:09 -0800, Anthony DeLuca opined:

Look up lumber suppliers in Arizona? Reasonably large timber industry in the north part of the state. Softwood of course, but what else are you getting from Alabama? Should be less expensive shipping from AZ than from Alabama.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net
Thanks for all your inputs and help. I didn't mean to stir the political or even the ecological pot.
Anthony DeLuca wrote:

What part of Ca?
What are you trying to find?
Lew

Check out http://www.woodfinder.com /
Ron

With every thing being relevant in California, is the lumber really out of line???
What grade of lumber are you looking at. Most all s4s is sold by the linear foot or whole board regardless of where you buy from.
Take a look here. http://www.woodfinder.com/

Relative, I'm sure.
Consider paying higher price as purchase of an indulgence for encouraging the destruction of the forest. Purgatory can be a bitch. Not sure if your neighbors will forgive you, though.
So why is it those left coast types want (cheap) wood, but won't let them cut there?
"George" wrote in message

The same reason they insist on gas guzzling egomobiles, but won't allow drilling. NIMBY.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I have only been in California as a tourist, but I found a wonderful lumber yard in Solana Beach. It is hard to believe there are not dozens of good suppliers all around the state. Have you checked the phone book, or with an industrial arts teacher at your high school?
Toller wrote:

I get my exotics for personal use from Reel Lumber, Riverside.
Anaheim office
1321 N. Kraemer Boulevard Anaheim, Ca 92806 (714) 632-1988 office (714) 630-3190 fax or (800) 675-REEL Bulk Yard is located at: 275 East Santa Ana St. Anaheim, Ca 9280
Hours M-F 7:00 - 5:00 Sat 8:00 - 2:00
Riverside office
3518 Chicago Avenue Riverside, Ca 92507 (909) 781-0564 office (909) 781-4523 fax or (800) 649-4906
Hours M-F 7:30 - 5:00 Sat 8:00 - 4:00
Toller wrote:

What were you thinking? I just went there, and that wood is way high priced. I barely got out before my wallet redlined, but I have some highly figured cocobola, maple 3 by, p. heart, and a piece of ebony for my efforts... :(
For "tools" I kept muttering to myself.
er
--
email not valid

Here are my locations SoCal
Bohnhoff Lumber Co. 3411 E. 26th st Los Angeles, CA 90023 (323) 263-9361, (323)263-9795 fax
Lane Stanton Vance 14710 Nelson Ave. City of Industry, CA 91744 626-968-8331 / 714-990-1371 Fax - 626-336-4460 http://www.lsvlumber.com /
Dave

I live on the southern Ca coast, only wood I found by the L/F is Pao Lope (Ipe) decking.
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

The woodfinder URL may help. If you are in southern California, keep in mind that there are very few hardwood trees there and the hardwoods you find will have a hefty shipping cost added to the lumber. A few years ago I bought some redwood (in Tennessee) for outdoor furniture--it was expensive because redwoods don't grow here and the lumber had to be shipped, but redwood trees grow like weeds in California! Eucalyptus is very abundant too. Attend some woodworking shows and ask around for lumber sources--that's what I did and found some very good local sources. Keep away from DIY centers unless you need a small amount of wood. Also keep looking at "For Sale" items in the local newspaper. I got a lot of free wood from neighbors wanting to clear out a fallen tree. Sadly, when I lived in California I never took the time to get to know my neighbors which can be a very valuable part of wood-finding network. HTH Good luck!