lumber

Any good sources for lumber? Since I moved to California I am being held hostage to the lumber yards. They actually sell this stuff by the linear foot. Had some shipped from Alabama and still came out better. But after all the storms in the south I thinks that's out. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Anthony DeLuca

Look up lumber suppliers in Arizona? Reasonably large timber industry in the north part of the state. Softwood of course, but what else are you getting from Alabama? Should be less expensive shipping from AZ than from Alabama.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

What part of Ca?

What are you trying to find?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Check out

Ron

With every thing being relevant in California, is the lumber really out of line???

What grade of lumber are you looking at. Most all s4s is sold by the linear foot or whole board regardless of where you buy from.

Take a look here.

Leon

Relative, I'm sure.

Consider paying higher price as purchase of an indulgence for encouraging the destruction of the forest. Purgatory can be a bitch. Not sure if your neighbors will forgive you, though.

So why is it those left coast types want (cheap) wood, but won't let them cut there?

Reply to
George

Hi, Anthony!

I asked the same question not too long ago and a friend suggested Ebay. It is a great source for small cuts used for small projects. I have been buying from Ebay ever since.

You might also want to investigate local flooring outlets in your area. A local supplier here let me walk away with about 35 bf of Brazilian Oak "scraps." It's nice stuff once you plane all of the finish off.

Good Luck!

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby

The same reason they insist on gas guzzling egomobiles, but won't allow drilling. NIMBY.

Reply to
Swingman

I have only been in California as a tourist, but I found a wonderful lumber yard in Solana Beach. It is hard to believe there are not dozens of good suppliers all around the state. Have you checked the phone book, or with an industrial arts teacher at your high school?

Reply to
Toller

Here are my locations SoCal

Bohnhoff Lumber Co.

3411 E. 26th st Los Angeles, CA 90023 (323) 263-9361, (323)263-9795 fax

Lane Stanton Vance

14710 Nelson Ave. City of Industry, CA 91744 626-968-8331 / 714-990-1371 Fax - 626-336-4460

TeamCasa

foot. Had some shipped from Alabama and still came out

would be appreciated.

I live on the southern Ca coast, only wood I found by the L/F is Pao Lope (Ipe) decking.

Reply to
AAvK

The woodfinder URL may help. If you are in southern California, keep in mind that there are very few hardwood trees there and the hardwoods you find will have a hefty shipping cost added to the lumber. A few years ago I bought some redwood (in Tennessee) for outdoor furniture--it was expensive because redwoods don't grow here and the lumber had to be shipped, but redwood trees grow like weeds in California! Eucalyptus is very abundant too. Attend some woodworking shows and ask around for lumber sources--that's what I did and found some very good local sources. Keep away from DIY centers unless you need a small amount of wood. Also keep looking at "For Sale" items in the local newspaper. I got a lot of free wood from neighbors wanting to clear out a fallen tree. Sadly, when I lived in California I never took the time to get to know my neighbors which can be a very valuable part of wood-finding network. HTH Good luck!

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks for all your inputs and help. I didn't mean to stir the political or even the ecological pot.

Reply to
Anthony DeLuca

I get my exotics for personal use from Reel Lumber, Riverside.

Anaheim office

1321 N. Kraemer Boulevard Anaheim, Ca 92806 (714) 632-1988 office (714) 630-3190 fax or (800) 675-REEL Bulk Yard is located at: 275 East Santa Ana St. Anaheim, Ca 9280

Hours M-F 7:00 - 5:00 Sat 8:00 - 2:00

Riverside office

3518 Chicago Avenue Riverside, Ca 92507 (909) 781-0564 office (909) 781-4523 fax or (800) 649-4906

Hours M-F 7:30 - 5:00 Sat 8:00 - 4:00

Reply to
Glen

What were you thinking? I just went there, and that wood is way high priced. I barely got out before my wallet redlined, but I have some highly figured cocobola, maple 3 by, p. heart, and a piece of ebony for my efforts... :(

For "tools" I kept muttering to myself.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root