Lubricating a vise.

Page 2 of 2

I got a little squeeze tube, from the leftovers ...
On 7/11/2011 10:44 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Lubriplate is a relatively thin highly refined grease compared to wheel bearing grease, IMHO it is more like the lube in a grease gun. The white spray grease that dries to a dried wax like consistency was typically white lithium grease, similar to Lubriplate but dried thicker/harder.
On 7/11/2011 2:56 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

For my cast iron tops and adjusting screws inside my TS I use TopCote.
On 7/12/2011 8:01 AM, Leon wrote:

Dido, only way to go. I also use it on my pipe clamps, and on all my metal C clamp screws. I have 2 quick release wood vices and metal vice, use it on them as well.
--
Jack
You can't Tax your way into Prosperity!
On 7/15/11 12:15 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

I think TopCoat and Boeshield T-9 are pretty much interchangeable.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/15/2011 1:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I never used Boeshield but TopCote doesn't get sticky, ever. You spray it on and it dries in seconds, then you can wipe it off or not. I wipe it off my big iron, but on vice screws, pipe clamp screws and so on I just spray it on, no wiping.
Long ago, when I first set up my shop in a wet basement, fighting rust was a constant battle. I tried everything, including dissolving wax in lacquer thinner and painting it on my big iron. I good friend of mine worked for 3M and he said he saw some stuff at the 3M company store in Minnesota that might work. He brought me back several cans and it was like a miracle. Couldn't believe everyone didn't use it. I never found it on sale anywhere. I even contacted someone at 3M and he never heard of it., and eventually, when I ran out, I found TopCote. The cans looked strikingly similar however, and I suspect they are pretty much the same stuff. Here's some photo's of the two:
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Lube1.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Lube2.jpg
I think the 3M stuff *may* have been better at preventing rust, but not sure. The stuff had a warning not to smoke when using, and it usually gave me a headache after use. Topcote doesn't. I, and Leon recommend it, so give it a try. Wood slides on my iron like leather shoes on wet ice. I consider it a safety issue, more important than blade guards and other hand wringing stuff.
--
Jack
Ninety-nine percent of all lawyers give the rest a bad name!
On 7/17/11 10:07 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

I could write that paragraph about Boeshield. Someone in another thread said it got sticky on them. I'm not going to argue with his experience other than to say I suspect there were other variables involved. I've tried to replicate the results and can't.
Either way, they are both great products. I have no horse in the race. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Just put Boeshield on thick and let it sit for a month.
Normally I spray it on stuff and wipe it off. One day I was cleaning some tools that had gotten rained on, had just sprayed them and something came up. I forgot about them for a while and came back a month or so later and found that they were unexpectedly sticky.
Resprayed and wiped down and they were fine.
Since then I've noticed this happens consistently with heavy coats that don't get wiped off.
Incidentally, when I get a new tool I generally Boeshield it first thing. One time I dropped a Harbor Fright ratchet while I was working on the lawn mower and then couldn't find it. A year and a half later I was digging in a flower bed and there it was, looking like new and working fine. And I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the quality of Harbor Fright's workmanship that kept it that way.
On 7/17/11 1:54 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I guess I just would never spray it on thick. It's not how I see the product is to be used. If I need a thicker coat of a lubricant, I'm just not reaching for Boeshield, partly because of its price, but mostly because I see it as an "invisible lube," not a grease. :-)

Now that is a great practice. Mental note taken. Thanks.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/17/11 1:54 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

As I posted to the other threads, I replicated your results. It definitely leaves a waxy feel behind... duh, it's wax. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Dido? The former queen of carthage? The British singer? The Soccer player? The asteroid? The locomotive?
Or did you mean ditto, as in ditto-head?
scott
On 7/15/2011 3:48 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Sorry, was letting my fingers do the walking...
--
Jack
If Guns Kill then Pencils Miss Spel Words!