Lowes vs. HD....

Page 4 of 4
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:34:55 -0500, the renowned "Mike Marlow"

They have a number to call if you are refused the discount.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I just left, and went across the street to Lowe's.
Mike Marlow wrote:

It has been an on again, off again policy for almost a decade around here. HD's latest change is in response to Lowe's updated policies.
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:34:55 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Right. I'm told that many managers will give it to any vet, anytime, if they ask. Store managers (even department managers) have a lot of leeway.

You musta missed my response to Lew Hodgett..... HD gets it wrong *without fail*.
But, anyway, what would pass statistical muster, in a HD/Lowes comparison, O Statistical Swami??
--
EA

Is there some reason you are fixated on only big box?
We have two local garden centers that have great service with better quality plants and lower prices than big box.

Locally, Kitchener Waterloo Ontario, at least six
On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:32:40 PM UTC-8, Existential Angst wrote:

I think it is clear who has the problem here. Your expectations are totally unreasonable. Lowes and HD both offer the same specific value; a huge fricking building full of deep inventory for all items they stock at reasonable prices. They are not offering good customer service. They hire people who can't get real jobs or are too old to want to work hard. Visit the store and buy what you find on the shelf or don't. That is clearly what they offer. Works for me several times a week on average.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

That's not fair to categorize all of the salespeople as the same.
I have met my share of helpful salepeople at both Lowes and Home Depot. However, admittedly there are more clueless salespeople on the floor than helpful ones. How many electricians does either store need? If there is one in the store on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday between 9:00 and 3:00, maybe that's enough?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

privacy issues. Spent 1/2 hr on the phone -- 30 solid minutes of mostly waiting on hold -- with HD, 4 different people, 2 hangups, 3 diff. stories. Ultimately, no arbor vitaes. Called Lowes: No arbor vitaes, either. But, it only took me 20 seconds to glean this info. Boom, bang, done. Goodgawd.... Unfortly, no Lowes conventient to me, gotta pay a toll to NJ, always a traumatic event for me. If you google Westchester County, NY, you'll see 500 HDs, and not ONE Lowes.... I don't know what (or who) is behind that, but I'm sure there is some corruption at work. HD is sumpn else.... I think shit service is their own personal artform, and I think managers are rewarded for it, bec undoubtedly shit service corresponds highly with cost savings for them. I'm sure seeing 3 out of 15 cashiers open, with long lines on each, just warms Management's heart. -- EA

unreasonable. Lowes and HD both offer the same specific value; a huge fricking building full of deep inventory for all items they stock at reasonable prices. They are not offering good customer service. They hire people who can't get real jobs or are too old to want to work hard. Visit the store and buy what you find on the shelf or don't. That is clearly what they offer. Works for me several times a week on average.
They do have some problems though. One time I needed a y-fitting for the garden hose. According to the HD web site they were sold out, but according to the Lowes site they had plenty in stock. So I went by Lowes and nobody could find one of the blasted things. So I went out to the parking lot, ordered online for same day pickup, waited ten minutes for the email that they had it ready, walked in, and the same person who couldn't find it handed it to me.

With both Lowes and HD, I check online to see if 1) they have anything close to what I want and 2) if it's in stock in the myriad of stores in the area. In some cases, I've seen that they had adequate stock online only to get over to a specific store and find that somebody's cleaned them out between the time I looked and my arrival. So I go hit another. Must have at least a dozen of each in the area, three or four on the way home from work. For those items they don't carry or for a quick trip, Ace is closer and has more oddball stuff, usually higher prices, too. I can usually get floor droids to answer my questions at both Lowes and HD, the local HDs were hiring guys with trades experience for floor workers at one time. If you're getting crappy service at HD, complain to the head office. Might be a local management change is needed. And the HDs here have self-checkout, no lines at those, usually. Lowes doesn't, but opens up checkouts as needed.
Stan
Per Stanley Schaefer:

On credit card sales under $50, our HD does not even want a signature.
OTOH, the Lowe's I used to go to has the poorest checkout scheme I've ever seen. Ironically, it is across from Target - which has the fastest, slickest checkout scheme I have seen.
--
Pete Cresswell