Lowes vs. HD....

Page 2 of 4

My experience is that HD is crap. Lowe's only slightly better. Went to get two 12' 2 x 12's, and the WHOLE PALLET had a split in the same place on the end of evey board running 18". Went to HD, and found two out of about 100 that were decent, but would not have bought them if I wasn't in a time crunch.
If you want GOOD lumber, you will go to a lumber yard, as they carry sizes and grades you can't find at the Borgs. Kinda depends on the project, and, as stated, if they give you a break for having an account, etc. But I think any lumber yard has better lumber on average than either Lowe's or HD.
Steve
As I recall the wood at HD comes from Chile and is cut metric size.
e.g. getting 1/2" ply isn't 1/2". Buy a metric/imperial datao set.
Martin
On 12/8/2012 10:33 AM, Steve B wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 22:14:20 -0600, Martin Eastburn
If it comes from ANYWHERE other than the USA it is metric size -

On 12/8/2012 10:14 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Not necessarily and depends upon where you live:
http://columbiaforestproducts.com/Retail
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/8/2012 11:14 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 22:14:20 -0600, Martin Eastburn

It's not that simple. 12mm ply isn't 12mm, either. Sheet goods thicknesses vary all over the place. Adjust the design to the particular sheet.

My experience is that the quality in both is quite variable and also quite dependant on location. Some are very good, some aren't worth trying.

It's nice to have options. Many don't.
On 10 Dec 2012 01:52:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

+1

HD contractor's desk sells the wrong sized doors just like any other outfit. Just more often.
Steve
On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 23:31:06 -0600, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I know I've posted this before, but Lowes bought the Eagle Hardware stores here. Lowes now stands for "Less Of What Eagle Stocked" :-).
That said, I can still find more of what I need there than at Home Depot.
carrying a cross.
On 12/8/2012 1:04 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Here in Canada, I have a HD about two blocks away, and a Rona three blocks away, right next to a real lumber yard. I usually go to the HD, can't find what I want at end up at Rona, the store is much smaller, but invariably has what I need.
There is a Lowes being built and I believe it will open just after the holidays about a block in the other direction. Wondering how that will change my shopping habits.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

I'd say it will cost you at least 10% more to shop there.
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:04:52 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

I miss Eagle, they were a great operation.
Mike M
14:03:52 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Gee, suddenly the don't want free publicity! Now that _is_ a miracle. </snark>
--
pyotr
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Same deal I offered ATT Longlines when five of our ten our WATS lines died just befoe a telethon. :)
01:43:34 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    The old saying was "Never Argue with a man who buys his ink by the barrel"
    Now it is "Do not pick a fight with a man who buys pixels by the terabyte."
--
pyotr
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:01:17 -0800, pyotr filipivich

"When at the carnival, don't insult the guy with the microphone".

Proof: You're an idiot.

IKWYABWAI is about your speed.

Who cares where you live, or are you suggesting that everywhere on the planet has as many lumber yards as your hell hole? You prove you're an idiot with every post. Amazing.

You really are an idiot.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:04:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

I filter this fool on one group - and I get him on the next one!!!!!