Lowes Expert Assistance

I was running around today comparing dovetail templates for routers. I stopped at Lowes and asked the clerk in the tool section if they had any." Yep, right in the cabinet with the router bits," she replies. I asked her if they're behind all the ones showing and she says yes.
She hunts for the keys to open the case and starts to slide the bits around. I notice there isn't any room behind the bits and tell her I need a template not a bit. She asked me again what it was I was looking for -- dovetail template for a router I say (again). Oh, she says, would that be a like a drill bit or saw blade, because those are over here. So (I wasn't in a hurry and wondered just how stupid this was going to get before I gave up) I explained what it was and how it worked. She finally said, she didn't think they carried them anymore -- sigh.
BTW, she was training a new clerk in that section at the time!
P.S. for those Sears bashers out there, I asked the same question at Sears. Not only did he take me where they were stored, but we opened the boxes and read the instructions and looked over what kind of bits to use. Then he invited me to the next meeting of the local woodworkers club. While I will I admit this is not always normal service for Sears, it sure was refreshing after Lowes.
Woodcraft or Cutting Edge would blow your socks off! :-)
If you want real lumber go to Houston Hardwoods, Hardwood Lumber Co, or Brandle's Saw Mill. There's some others around too.

Yeah, so would their prices.
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Leon, I have no affiliation with them, but they are one of the regular advertisers in The Woodworkers Club of Houston news letter. They can be reached at 936-597-4575.

Thank you..

The only two hardwood warehouses I've used (CWG Hardwood Outlet in Enfield, CT and HK Hardwoods in MA) both gave me a price list before I started looking. I can't imagine why any dealer wouldn't have such a list. Why wouldn't you ask the price before you start looking, anyway?
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

;~) Oddly, one of my local suppliers has a price list and I refuse to use it. I call ahead before buying the lumber, get a quote and then precede. If I use the price list and or not have a price quote before I go in, I end up paying more. Prices over the phone are always cheaper for me. I figure they suppose it would be just as easy for me to go to a competitor if their pricing was too out of line. Once I am there they have me and they know it. I go in saying so and so quoted me this price and they give me that price... I get a contractors break.

charge each day??????????

I'm thrilled that you bonded with the fellow at Sears. But their power tools still SUCK! :)
dave
Jim K wrote:

kind of stupid of you to think they would have that.