Lowes Coming to Canada

Page 2 of 2

No, they're not. I've got one 4 blocks from me here. Yesterday, while having a recurring case of the plumbing stupids, I took the parts I'd bought from them last week, and went back down there. 5 minutes of gentle instruction, and the problem was solved.
I can't imagine that happening at a local BORG.
Patriarch

Only a few people here may be able to take advantage, but how about giving the name and location of the place.
wrote in message

(Peter) Eames Hardware, a Do it Best affiliate, in Pleasant Hill, CA. Two of his brothers run Ace Hardware in Albany, CA, and his sister has an Ace Hardware in North Oakland, CA. They are all run the same way, with a mix of experienced older staff, and well-trained younger workers, who know how to get the right answers, or bring in the experts. This is already their third generation in the business, and the kids are already working there on weekends.
They are my first stop, because the problem gets solved most of the time, inside of 5 minutes. You cannot even park at HD in that period of time.
And, while I'm at it, I've had really pleasant experiences lately at Yardbirds Home Center, in Martinez, CA. A small regional chain, their people are better trained, their staffing levels match customer loads, their prices are competitive, and their selection, particularly on hand tools, is as good as any in the area. A special order yesterday evening went pretty well (we'll see when it arrives), but I cannot imagine dealing with HD on a similar product in nearly as comfortable a manner.
Patriarch

Up until the (b)Lowe's switch to "Tradesman" and "GMC" as their housebrand tools, I thought Lowes had the best power tool price points. Here they still carry Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Hitachi and Makita. There's still a few Delta items left, and mine carries one Jet contractors saw.
Other than that -- Not really.
Just prepare yourself to be really aggravated when neither one has what you're looking for.

The new Lowe's here are much better stocked hardware-wise, much cleaner and brighter than the older HD.