Lowe's tool chest plan

Last week somebody posted a link to an oak tool chest plan from Lowe's. I decided it would make a good project for this weekend.
My first deviation from the plan was to go with pine due to the outrageous cost of oak in these parts. Then when I got home with my materials and started laying things out in my mind, I decided I'd like the drawers a little deeper, Then I started thinking that I was really only interested in the drawers, so I eliminated the the top tray and lid.
http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/toolchest.htm
The end was result is that my finished project was barely a distant cousin to what I started out intending to make, but I guess that's part of the fun.
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Wow, you work fast. Looks great!
I'm close to finishing a chest with similar drawer runners. What method did you use to get the runners properly aligned?
RayV wrote:

VERY careful measurement! LOL! I'm still sort of a rookie, especially concerning drawers. Now I understand why they put drawer faces onto the box separately to make it easier to get everything lined up.
Charlie
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Looks good!
What's in store for the finish?
B A R R Y wrote:

I think I'm just going to put on a couple of coats of poly and leave it at that. I've had mixed results using stain on pine.
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

If you don't like the finish make another box to match the jewelry chest http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/Jewelrychest.htm and I'll take the prototype off your hands:-) Nice jewelry chest. Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:

Thanks, Joe. Maybe I should have made the tool box out of walnut, too. <g>

Very nice job. One coat of Watco, Natural, and a coat of poly, clear satin and I'll take it. <G>
Max

You don't buy your oak from Lowe's, do you? There are much better places no matter what parts you hail from.
Jim Weisgram wrote:

I'd have to take a second mortgage on the house to just to build the same little drawer stack! <g>
Here in the New Orleans area you have to look pretty hard for anything other than southern yellow pine and fir at a lumberyard. The only place, in fact, is clear on the other side of town. I haven't gotten around to taking a ride over there to see what's left of the place post-Katrina.
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

In your circumstances, it seems like mail-order wood might actually make sense!
I like that! looks nice and also very useful, I could do with one off those, I might replace the top draw with two or three smaller ones though. Should look great with a clear varnish! Eddie.