low power drilling

Buy a Boa? :)
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:30:52 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

Yeah, a boa contractor.
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 06:47:26 -0800, Larry Jaques saw and angle drill. One joist at a time.

How about a flex shaft driving the bit?

The half inch water pipe was almost too flexible.

No a feather boa, and take up dancing.

And if that doesn't work, Python it.
On 3/12/2010 9:08 PM, LDosser wrote:

That's a half-asp addertude.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

aaargh .,..

Methinks some of these joke don't adder up. OH, krait, I'm contributing to the problem.
On 3/12/2010 10:08 PM, LDosser wrote:

You're all going about it from the wrong end. This is a job for trained termites.

Better yet, Carpenter Ants.

How are Richard and Karen's mother's sisters going to help with -this- problem?

Teeth?
On 3/13/2010 8:41 PM, LDosser wrote:

Karen could have SUNG the damned hole into it. I was way up in the cheap seats at the Jacksonville Coliseum when her mike died. She still managed to make herself heard. That was a _big_ hall with lousy acoustics. Shit, I get all maudlin every time I think about her.
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:30:04 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

You ADMIT to going to see The Carpenters in concert, you brave and foolish person? <g>
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:01:38 -0600, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) scrawled the following:

Mandibularly, my dear Watson.
-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams

Got a midget to go with the drill? Deck is 16 inches from the floor, joists are 16 inches high. No access from the sides.

----------------------------------------- This is a TOTAL PITA solution, but it will get the job done.
Drill a 1/4" dia pilot thru every 2x8, then it is time for a 1-1/2" hole saw AND a 1/2" right angle drill.
If you question the need for a right angle drill, you have never used many hole saws.
Nuf said.
Drill each 2x8 about 1/2-3/4 way thru then try to break out plug and remove from hole saw.
Now back drill from the other side to complete hole.
Labor intensive, slow, and a probably got to stand on your head kind of job, but it will do the job.
IOW, a total PITA.
Have fun.
Lew
On 3/11/2010 10:06 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

I wonder if you really read the OP's post. Otherwise, the only way he'd be able to use your suggestion would be if he could scrunch his body down to fit in a 7-1/2" high space between a concrete slab and the decking. Quite a trick, that.
What I don't understand is when he says the joists are "only accessible from the one side". What does this mean? That the openings between joists are only accessible from one side of the house? I'm having a hard time picturing this. And how the hell would he get in there in the first place--drill a hole from the outside through the rim joist, then each joist in turn after that?

- a Usenet "apology"

Depends how you interept thev above phrase:
" I need to drill through 6 2X8 joists which are accessible only from the one side."
I interept that to mean he has access to one side such as floor joists in a house with a basement.
Lew