Low Noise saw (any saw ;)...)

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote: ....

Of course, and for the same reason one sharpens any cutting-edge tool...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Not sure what your point is about axes and shovels.

I mostly use waterstones for planes and chisels. The coarse or fine carborundum stones are good for grinding or repairing the bezel, much as one would use a file on a nicked axe.

Never sharpened a shovel, have you and why?

I don't do as much woodworking as I'd like to.

Reply to
fredfighter

Router w/ uptwist bit and upper bearing guide if need really good finish edge--otherwise, just hog it out and use the shoe mould to cover it up...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The same guy who used to go arouns to the woodworkign shows and sell the drill bits that drill through files etc, sold reciprocating saw blades (sawzall and saber saw) that were edged with silicon carbide abrasive. If you can find one of those or the equivalent, they might do the job. You could make a handle for one of those to make a pad saw for getting into really tight places.

Does that company have an online presence?

Reply to
fredfighter

I just bought a carbide edged bit for my Sawzall but the stroke on the Sawzall is over an inch long, which would have me cutting well through the floor as well as the laminate.

Is there a jig-saw-like tool that cuts flush and has a carbide edged bit available?? I could limit it's cutting depth by covering the laminate with a block of wood and the stroke of a jigsaw should be a lot less than my Sawzall.

Dave

Reply to
David

fein multimaster.

Reply to
bridger

thanks. I'll check it out. It might be worth what I'd expect would be a hefty admission price, like my Fein shop vac.

Dave

Reply to
David

I've got hard packed clay soil and YES, I've sharpened the end of my shovels. The neighbors get pissed off when I set of dynamite to make a hole for my roses.

Dave

Reply to
David

Pergo. It seemed to cut fine to me, but YMMV.

That's a sticky job you've got there... I don't know much about the Wilson Art flooring, but perhaps you could remove the trim and use a really cheap abrasive disc in a 4" angle grinder? That'd get you really close, and then you could knock out the rest with a sharp chisel (Use a cheap chisel, of course)

Reply to
Prometheus

I do have an air powered angle grinder (it never has much "oomph", but lots of RPM). I'll try it on some scrap laminate (and I could remove the trim...DUH! (light bulb moment!)...I will HAVE to cut the trim anyway, in order to install the wider cabinets.

(And here I was thinking I'd found the perfect excuse for a new tool...but that's ok...I still need another Veritas plane [or 2])

Dave

Reply to
David

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Not too bad. The midrange kit is about $239, IIRC. Woodcraft has them, as well as some of the better builder supply yards.

The carbide grout cutter tool is a life saver when, for example, a woodworker tiles a shower, and gets a little exhuberent with the thinset. Just to pick an entirely random for instance.

But it is one sweet tool.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch