low maintenence

But it's cedrela, which is close :-). A friend built and Adirondack chair out of spanish cedar and it was beautiful. So much so that I resawed some down to 1/4" and used it for the soundboard of a hammered dulcimer. Gorgeous!

And it does appear to be a little harder than real cedar. And is also same rot resistant. Seems like it would be a good choice for outdoor furniture, but it's a little more expensive and a little harder to find than some of the other suggestions here.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yep...it looks too smooth for any cedars I am used to. You are probably right about the weather effect. I am always looking for the next outdoor material.

Reply to
Pat Barber