Lotta Traffic

....I'm not complaining(maybe I'm gloating) but my website(s) got over 60 'hit's yesterday and I got, maybe, a half dozen nice notes from some folks. With this much traffic, I begin to sweat exceeding my bandwidth limits with Mediacom, my ISP, and them shutting me off for a while. For those that just 'lurk' on my site I appreciate your stopping by for a visit.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Larry, if 60 visits a day threatens your bandwidth you either need to seriously look at the code you're using (have you got a lot of Javascript stuff happening?) or find another host for the site.

My site gets about 400 requests, an average of 9 meg, a day.

Here's (part of) the report I got today:

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Web Server Statistics for balderstone.ca ======================================== Program started at Sat-29-Jan-2005 00:12. Analysed requests from Sat-01-Jan-2005 03:55 to Sat-29-Jan-2005 00:06 (27.84 days).

------------------------------------------------------------------------- General Summary

--------------- Successful requests: 10,317 Average successful requests per day: 370 Successful requests for pages: 2,314 Average successful requests for pages per day: 83 Failed requests: 1,253 Redirected requests: 11 Distinct files requested: 118 Distinct hosts served: 746 Data transferred: 253,654,597 bytes Average data transferred per day: 9,110,838 bytes

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I am. I'm using what's provided by Mediacom as "personal web pages" At the moment , I can't find their use policy to check on use limits but IIRC it's very low compared to the services provided by commercial ISP's. Presently I'm using about 40 meg of the 60 meg provided and have very little Java code.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

It either shuts down for a few days or more every month or it doesn't. I ended up using our domain name and buying a GoDaddy hosting account so the wife would stop fussing about her site going down. She has fun with the statistics and reports. You can find places that host web pages for a few bucks a month which is worth it for some.

Smaller pictures. No java. No flash. Thumbnails.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Larry,

If you register a domain name ($7 or less everywhere) I can set you up with hosting that is much more robust for around $4-10 a month depending on what you would want as far as bandwidth and storage. Billed quarterly or yearly to a credit card.

You would get info similar to what Dave Balderstone said he gets but much more comprehensive that the clip he showed...

I don't sell it myself, I simply get it as a reseller four our charity and pass on the favor to others I run into. If you reall found that the service was awesome, you could always make a $10,000 donation to the charity.

Let me know (anyone) if I can set you up.

Reply to
Joe

I have been using these guys for close to two years:

5GB web space, 5000 email accounts, 75GB transfer/month for $4.95 the first year and $7.50/month thereafter. Lotsa good features - PHP, MySQL, Gallery, ...

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Thanks ,Doug, and all, I did some digging around in the Mediacom rules and I am allowed 250 meg/month transfer before they shut you off. I figured that I'd have to average 100's of hits a day, so my fretting was a waste. I am, however, running out of webspace and have to do frequent culling. I'll check out the globat.com, it's rates/features look very attractive.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

That was indeed just a clip... I get a very detailed report about traffic.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Looks to me like they provide you with a "cpanel" application. In my experience, these systems give LOTS of information. Not srue how someone could need it ALL but it certainly gives most everyone the tidbits of info they might need...

Reply to
Joe

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:03:58 GMT, the inscrutable "Lawrence L'Hote" spake:

Oh, other person of great name, hearken hither!

I was searching the web this morning for a certain ASP script (Ick!) when I stubled across a dirt cheap host, $2.46/mo on an annual basis. So for under $30, you can leave all your worries and never have to pay Mediacom any extra for bandwidth.

in New Delhi, India.

My most recent client got his own domain at

for $75/year, and that's USA hosting(AFAIK.)

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They host my site and the prices are out of this world.

100mb storage - 3gb a month transfer- 10 emails for only $10 a YEAR

It's been very reliable and I've no complaints at all.

Reply to
Jeff P.

I get reports via email, but have asked for *more* detail.

My host will give me the raw logs if I want so I can do my own processing... I may do that just out of pure geekiness.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone