Lost a part on my bandsaw!

I was adding a riser block to my ridgid bs1400 yesterday and when I pulled out the original post guide something fell out and bounced to the floor. For the life of me I can't find it. The new post guide seems to work fine, but does anyone have any idea what I just lost and how vital is it? Thanks.

Reply to
Geo

Alignment pin?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Could be something like an E or C clip, set screw, or something else that holds stuff in place? Sometimes stuff like that is only needed when pressure is applied to the part. luck, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I have the same saw, with a grizzly riser kit... could you of removed or loosened one of the blade guard screws and it fell?

I seem to remember that there was a very specific sequence for inserting the new post while taking the old on out, but I can't remember WHY it was so important.. I don't think that there were any seals, springs, etc. attached or inside of the housing... I lost the table pin when I put my kit in.. that wasn't what you heard fall, was it???

OTOH, maybe Chicken Little was right...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I also put in the grissly riser. You're right. The sequence was to put the new riser in on top of the old one while lowering the old one out. I accidentally let the old one slip out and that when the piece(s) fell out. The instructions even mention this sequence so as to not allow small parts to fall out. So, no it wasn't a different piece. It was definitely something in the riser housing that fell out.

Maybe a trip to the depot is in order to take a look at the floor model and see what's in there. The manual doesn't show it.

Reply to
Geo

Which bandsaw? I have a Griz 0555, and there's a ball bearing between the big rod and its adjuster set screw/spring.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Ridgid BS1400 (mentioned above). The bearing things sounds about right since there is a "V" shaped groove on the post. I presume the adjustment screw presses the (missing?) bearing against/into that groove.

Reply to
Geo

I don't think so.. my set screw or alignment screw hit the rod groove before and does now.. If you look in your manual, (yeah, I do RTFM), it doesn't show any bearing there in the exploded/parts view..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

As luck would have it I found a ball bearing and a small spring that I am farily certain are the parts that popped out of the housing. Did you see those parts anywhere in your setup?

Reply to
Geo

nope... and I just looked at my BS and there's no spring or bearing anywhere that I could see... maybe it's from behind or inside one of the adjuster knobs for the roller guides?