Loose tenon

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

My copy of that same report does not jive with the above with regard to loose/floating tenons ...

3?8-IN. MORTISE & TENON 1,444 lb. 3?8-IN. FLOATING M&T 1,396 lb. 3?8-IN. WEDGED M&T 1,210 lb. 3?8-IN. PINNED M&T 1,162 lb.

Traditional mortise and tenons were ranked 4th in the overall strength test, being about 3.5% stronger than loose/floating tenons of equal thickness, which came in 5th.

Reply to
Swingman

Hmm. Betcha they didn't test this one:

or unpinned. It's the only joint I don't dare dry fit. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Love it! Gonna run right out to the shop and grab my mortise chisel .... :)

Hell, with a CNC, ya don't need no steenking joints! All you need is a block of wood/whatever as big as the piece and program that puppy to cut away the superfluous material ...

Reply to
Swingman

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:40:18 -0600, the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@teranews.com" scrawled the following:

I'd take it down a bit more, then glue on a thicker strip, and then cut to size if it were mine. I'd keep the gluelines away from one another (jus'cuz), though it probably wouldn't matter.

-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A lot of modern glues will last centuries, but the glues of yesteryear included animal and milk glues that can be attacked by the right kind of fungus, even if dry. Formulations with fungus sensitivity give rise to powder where one knows there USED to be glue. Wood sap, too, is sometimes food for the beasties; old pine is more sturdy than old oak because the sap is resinous and indigestible.

Are modern 'hide glue' formulae made with fungicide? I don't know.

Reply to
whit3rd

The way thinking and things are going in this day and age you may still be liable, even being dead. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I could be mistaken here but I thnk it is a tennon that fits loosely, not a floating tennon.

Reply to
Leon

Hell, if that's true, I'm a master. Oh wait. You said "effectively".

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Micro-balloons can be purchases at hobby stores - airplanes and boats use it because it is light and not heavy... but strong. It is often used as a filler.

Mart> >>> Any tips on how to repair a tenon that stood a little too close to

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I am not sure that I have heard "loose tennons" being described as floating tennons until you mentioned it. Therefore now that you have said it, "people" have used both terms. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Where does one purchase micro balloons?

Why, at the Micro Party Store, of course.

Get the Helium-filled balloons for a lighter project.

Pick up some little birthday candles while you're there.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:48:39 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

I thought you'd be out there one-handing your Domino by now, Swingy.

-- Indifference to evidence: Climate alarmists have become brilliantly adept at changing their terms to suit their convenience. So it's "global warming" when there's a heat wave, but it's "climate change" when there's a cold snap. The earth has registered no discernable warming in the past 10 years: Very well then, they say, natural variability must be the cause. But as for the warming that did occur in the 1980s and 1990s, that plainly was evidence of man-made warming. Am I missing something here? --Brett Stephens, WSJ Opinion 12/09/09

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got that little Multi-Router thingy, don't need no Domino. Besides, I lose my ass at Domino(es) _every_ Saturday night ... leaves a bad taste.

Left in on porpoise ...

Reply to
Swingman