Loose Chair Glue Question

My daughter has brought me a kitchen chair that has gotten loose. I I think it is an imprted piece. It is basically 4 stretchers with tenons that fit into mortices in the legs. Three of these joints have gotten loose and I have been able to seperate them without doing any damage to the pieces. I am able to fit the pieces back together but needless to sy they are loose. As I look at the mortices and tenons I can see a coating of glue on these. I have no idea what kind of glue it is. I am afraid to sand this glue coating as it will make the pieces looser if I put them together again.
My guestion is what kind of glue can I use that will secure this chair?
Thanks for any and all help.
My daughter has brought me a kitchen chair that has gotten loose. I I think it is an imprted piece. It is basically 4 stretchers with tenons that fit into mortices in the legs. Three of these joints have gotten loose and I have been able to seperate them without doing any damage to the pieces. I am able to fit the pieces back together but needless to sy they are loose. As I look at the mortices and tenons I can see a coating of glue on these. I have no idea what kind of glue it is. I am afraid to sand this glue coating as it will make the pieces looser if I put them together again.
My guestion is what kind of glue can I use that will secure this chair?
Thanks for any and all help.

I did this repair about a month ago and the chair is still solid as a rock. Scrape off anything that is loose and any old glue (don't bother sanding) Put polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) in the hole and smear it around slightly Dip the other part in water and put it together Clamp it together Leave it sit for 24 hours Scrape off the excess glue
You don't need much glue for each joint because it expands. Buy the small bottle it starts to go bad quickly.

It might also be a good idea to put some painter's tape on the wood around the joint to protect the finish from any excess glue. Or even a clean rag, since the adhesive from the tape might hurt the finish. I don't mean covering up the joint itself, just the wood next to or below the joint.

RayV wrote:

I did the same thing but used WoodWorker II glue rather than Gorilla. Scrape the glue off with a sharp chisel (stuff that I had to deal with was a translucent white and did NOT appear to be well spread in the joint. Gave the mortise and tenon a quick wife with a wet glue brush and then glued it up. I basically disassembled the entire chair, including the seat frame and corner braces. So far, with about three months of use/wear on the first ones I reglued they are holding up fine.
I'd be wary of Gorilla Glue though. Even though it expands to fill the voids, we're told it has no strength.
trvlnmny wrote:

If it's not a highly valuable piece I'd go for a flexibilized epoxy such as G2 http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p 011&cat=1,110,42965&ap=1.
You may need to add some shims.
Next time you have a loose chair there's a "quick and dirty" fix called "chair doctor" that doesn't require disassembly.
--John

I've used the Chair Doctor[1] glue and syringe a number of times on various pieces. Works great on those things that you don't want to take apart--just tighten it back up.
[1]: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid231

remove ".invalid".
trvlnmny wrote:
> > My guestion is what kind of glue can I use that will secure this > chair?
Epoxy thickened with micro-balloons.
Lew

I did this repair to the chair I am sitting in right now. I used regular old Elmer's carpenters glue, and did no prep whatsoever. I just pried the joints apart and applied the glue. I reassembled and the next day it was solid as a rock.
--

Roger Shoaf