Looong shelves - how?

Page 2 of 2

Dukester wrote:

Think hollow door core construction.
A shelf a couple of inches thick thick, framed up with say 1x3 stock and covered with a plywood skins will do the trick.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

But what would it look like? Not good in the subject piece, I'm thinkin' ...
From the picture, it appears that the shelf is supported at the back by a length of angle iron.
This is all that's needed and will support any reasonable weight.
Oldun
I must need a new eyeglasses. I can't see angle iron in either of these photos. Where are y'all seeing it at?

Dukester wrote:

Sure doesn't show and I doubt it...I'd expect the back to be thick enough for a shallow dado although simply a 4d or 6d finish nail through the back into the side of the shelf would do the trick as well...
Something very similar to that is what I'd wager on in the picture.
Anybody else think the fake antique "dirt" on the door corners, etc., just "too over the top"?

For what it's worth, I contacted the manufacturer, and just flat out asked them if there was extra support, i.e., angle iron etc. Their reply: "As a general rule they do not have any extra support but if you see a problem with what you wish to store in it we can add a decorative wooden bracket at the centre under each shelf."
Cheers! Duke
Dukester wrote:

As I suspected... :)
I still think if you want the open look I'd opt for simply nailing into the back edge of the shelf through the back. It would hold a significant weight, particularly if you can load the shelf toward the rear.