Looong shelves - how?

But what would it look like? Not good in the subject piece, I'm thinkin' ...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Sure doesn't show and I doubt it...I'd expect the back to be thick enough for a shallow dado although simply a 4d or 6d finish nail through the back into the side of the shelf would do the trick as well...

Something very similar to that is what I'd wager on in the picture.

Anybody else think the fake antique "dirt" on the door corners, etc., just "too over the top"?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Endless thread, slipped through a tube and anchored at both ends with recessed nuts/washers will work, I've seen industrial shelving made this way although haven't done it myself. Plugs can cover the nuts for a better finish.

This will still bend given enough pressure, but first the nuts will have to pull through the timbers... and if things get that bad the rod bending would be my last concern!

- Andy

Reply to
Andy McArdle

What's "endless thread"? Are you talking about threaded rod?

Reply to
Roy Smith

yes...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

For what it's worth, I contacted the manufacturer, and just flat out asked them if there was extra support, i.e., angle iron etc. Their reply: "As a general rule they do not have any extra support but if you see a problem with what you wish to store in it we can add a decorative wooden bracket at the centre under each shelf."

Cheers! Duke

Reply to
Dukester

...snip....

As I suspected... :)

I still think if you want the open look I'd opt for simply nailing into the back edge of the shelf through the back. It would hold a significant weight, particularly if you can load the shelf toward the rear.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth