Looks like PC is following the path of B&D

The 'cordless' feature would be kind of useless when mounted in some kind of device, no?

That was actually part of my own obtuse way of making my point. I don't care who or what powers it, if I hold it and guide it in my hand while using it, to me it is a "hand tool".
But, to expand on my point since at least part of this thread is concerned with accuracy of the typed word, one must remember the battery powered miter saws that were around for a while. Made to be partnered to the gas powered trim guns, the theory was that you drove up on the job with all batteries charged and with your gas powered guns no longer needed any kind of air lines or power cords. Less hassle when arriving and leaving, and less equipment to maintain, and clutter inside a smaller house.
To me, the cordless miter box is not a hand tool since you don't hold, support it, or guide it in your hands during its use. But the gas gun you shoot the trim on with is indeed a hand tool.
More importantly to me personally, a few years ago when my truck was broken into and several tools were stolen, the insurance company considered anything in the tool box a hand tool. Drills, saws, etc., were all classified the same.
They were not interested in the semantics, current accepted usage, or any neander driven arguments about the labels of the tools stolen. In fact to be honest, they weren't concerned with my loss at all.
Robert

(I forgot the 'tongue firmly planted in cheek' emoticon... izzit something like 8^* ?)
I agree. Stationary tools are tools to which you bring the piece that is being worked on, a hand tool is a tool you take to the piece you're working on. Both are portable tools. Some more so than others. Some are movable stationary tools. I would consider a stud-finder and a flashlight hand tools, even though they're electrified. EEeeeelectrified!!!
But, I try not to pay too much attention to those who nit-pick at semantics .. they're usually holed up in a basement with nothing else to do...and never contribute anything worthwhile.
=0)

We are like minded on that point.

LOL. Probably more energy than it's worth to make a point with crowd than it's worth anyway. At the ballgame the other night, I am reminded of a conversation between two of my friends about a third party that was no in attendance.
"Damn that was one argumentative sombitch! He pissed me off more than once - I hope you don't bring him out here again. A little of him sure goes a long way."
*chuckle* "Well, that's the way Bill is... for him, arguing is sport. If have a white golf ball in your hand, he will argue with you about what color it is".
Overhearing this, I responded - "why in the hell would you spend your free time around a contentious asshole that has nothing better to do than to stir up pointless crap for his own amusement?"
To borrow your "phrase" -->> =0)
Robert

*snip*
The way I see things is that a "hand tool" is powered by hand. If you move your hands to perform its function (but not to control the tool or operate it) then it's a hand tool.
If you guide a tool, but the power to perform its function comes from any source but your hand, it's a power tool. I realize such tools as a foot powered sharpening stone or lathe would be considered a power tool by this definition.
Think of it as "hand-powered tool" and "not hand-powered tool." There are tools that fit in both categories.
Puckdropper

so is a treadle-powered lathe or saw a hand tool or a power tool?
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 00:44:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No.
Yes.
A cordless drill is a power tool. Planes, chisels, scrapers, hammers, etc. are hand tools. The definition of hand tools has always excluded anything with a motor.
I'll admit that language changes over time, but I'm not ready to change that definition yet :-).

All of the eggbeater drills and breast drills I have seen were cordless...
--
FF

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:46:18 -0700, Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

There's one in every crowd :-).
I should have seen that coming, as I have a small collection of push drills :-).

Woodwerkin' just gets harder and harder..
;^)
Robert

Nobody can look me in the eye and tell me that a 20-pound sledgehammer is NOT a 'power tool'.
:>}

Ha! Amen!
And so versatile, too. I am wondering why we haven't seen Billy Mays Here selling them for something.
Robert

"Hello Billy Mays Here here." "Ever seen a tool this versatile? Turn one brick into two small ones with enough material left over to decorate your garden?" " A tool so versatile. you can crushhhh a pop can in one simple action!" "Save on recyclable storage space." "Trouble opening this CD package?" "Try our new SMAKKUM tool." "Handcrafted by decedents of Thor in our new Norwegian foundry." "SMAKKUM" " Order today and we'll include this free hernia kit" "Here's how to order..............."
"Robatoy" wrote
"Hello Billy Mays Here here." "Ever seen a tool this versatile? Turn one brick into two small ones with enough material left over to decorate your garden?" " A tool so versatile. you can crushhhh a pop can in one simple action!" "Save on recyclable storage space." "Trouble opening this CD package?" "Try our new SMAKKUM tool." "Handcrafted by decedents of Thor in our new Norwegian foundry." "SMAKKUM" " Order today and we'll include this free hernia kit" "Here's how to order..............."
Shades of Gallagher's "sledgematic".

Shades of Flintstone's BamBam?

I don't recognize the name Billy Mays because my ears auto-shut-off when a TV ad appears, but I'm willing to bet it's that guy with the black beard that I see hawking the Oxyclean.
wrote in message

Tha'd be him!
And thinking of those goofy infomercials. Have you ever noticed how uncoordinated and spastic the performers are when using the traditional mop/hammer/steamer//what ever as a comparison to the new fangled gizmo they are hawking?
"Upscale" wrote

Me too ... I hit the next button when I see a black beard, or, in the case of Brittany, anything that vaguely resembles a black beard.
Yeeech!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08