Looking to identify a wood

I'm looking to identify the wood on this web site:
www.swansoncox.net/stack_train.jpg
Not the colored wood, but the natural wood that is the base of each train. I want to use that wood for another project, and I'd like to identify it.
Any thoughts? Maple maybe?
Thanks,
Carl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
(Carl Swanson) wrote:

None other. My first thought was "sure looks like sugar maple to me."
When blown up, it looks like soft-maple but for that project, either would work just fine. Soft maples are the species that have predominate birds-eye and fiddleback in their grain whereas the hard maple species tend to have straight grain.
Bob S.

Looks like maple or possibly birch to me.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Looks like monkey pod(aka raintree)..sorta... that wood, some is similiar in color to maple, is used for a lot of imported wood furniture(& etc) from S.E. Asia, S. America and Hawaii(not native).
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

[...]

+ + + It is quite impossible to ID such a wood from such a picture. Could be any of a number of woods. Taking a wild stab in the dark, maple would be the odds-on bet. PvR