Looking to finish some whisky barrels

We have a couple of whisky barrels for display outdoors. The oak was stained with a dard oil stain, and the steel bands were primed and painted with metal paint. Looks great, but my wife wants to kind of blend the bands and wood together by putting on a coat of some tinted transparent finish, varnish or something. They will be outdoors, exposed to the sun, humidity, rain, and snow (Southern Illinois). Any suggestions on a finish?
Pete http://www.Pistoleer.com - Retail & Wholesale (PH/FX 618-288-4588) __________________________________________________________________ A-Zoom snap-caps, Bore-Stores cases, Kleen-Bore gun care products Pachmayr grips & pads, Targets, HKS speedloaders, FREE classifieds