Looking for Xmas gift ideas for husband

Page 2 of 2

<snip>

I agree with the idea of a well meaning gift and being stuck with it..
I was going to get a 3/8 cordless drill for the bench... the wife saw my wish list, and decided that I was being to "cheap" and got me a craftsman 19v 1/2" drill/driver that you could drill fence post holes with... it's a really nice tool, but about 5 pounds heavier than what I had in mind for bench use....
Return it? no way, if I want her to keep interested in my tools and shop!!
Kathleen wrote:

Somewhere a long time ago I read that the perfect gift is something that someone could afford to get for himself and would want to get for himself, but wouldn't think to get for himself.
Better safety equipment is always good. Anything from Starrett that he doesn't already have and that is useful for woodworking is good (Starrett also has a bunch of esoteric industrial stuff that too specialized for woodworking). Does he have a set of diamond sharpening stones? Even if he has good Japanese water stones the diamond will prove handy. Just about anything from Lie Nielsen is a good bet--many Lie Nielsen items have equivalents from Lee Valley/Veritas that cost less and would also be good bets. Or just about anything from Japan Woodworker that doesn't duplicate something he already has (or a set of their high-end chisels even if he already has decent chisels that aren't high-end handmade Japanese, but that might be a lot more than you want to go). If he doesn't have a lathe, I second the vote for a Jet Mini--a small lathe is one of those tools that you don't miss until you've had one. Does he have an HVLP spray rig? If not, that would be _very_ nice--just make sure he's got enough compressor to run it or get one of the self-contained turbine setups.
Of course a gift certificate to Woodcraft/Lee Valley/Japan Woodworker/Lie Nielsen/Home Depot/Lowes etc would always be good.

--
--John
I'd be lost if the digital caliper got lost and I had to go back to the analog dial caliper. About $65.00.

Yeah, those are great! You can find them cheaper, though. Picked up the one at Harbor Freight for ~$16 about a month ago (for SWMBO; she loves it. QC inspector by trade).
Lee Valley also has (a likely better one) for something in the $30 range, I think.
Very handy to have around the house/shop.
Regards,
JT
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:18:04 +0000 (UTC), John Thomas

yeah, I bought the HF one on sale for $9.99... I got it cuz I'm getting too old to read my steel one.. *groan*
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:41:35 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

I misse the original post, sorry. Anyhow ....
Good clamps are still an option. You always have one fewer than you need. I'm thinking of getting some for my wife this Christmas.
I got one at HF cheap, and it works fine.

Get your husband to create a wish list at Lee Valley, which you can then peruse at your leisure. He should be able to find a thing or two there he wants.
www.leevalley.com
Clint

Gift Certificate, the chances of your getting what he REALLY wants are slim at best. I received one for my birthday, it's the best present I ever got!

Thank you all for such great ideas. I've been able to search around the garage to see if he already has some of the items suggested - and he does. But some items I don't see anywhere so I have a great list to start with.
This newsgroup truly has the best subscribers. It's a good thing my husband doesn't use the newsgroups yet on his PC or I'd have to figure out another way to get surprise gift ideas.
Thanks to everyone for your help...
Kathleen

you do realize that when he does, he'll find all these posts himself?
hello,
yes, but when he does, he can post "good idea" anonymously! woudn't that be great!
cyrille

Well, in my opinion, between the fact that you are making such an effort and the Birthday Present discussed earlier, your husband has everything a man could want or need. Get any bauble from Lee Valley and double up on the Birthday Present and there's one lucky guy.
Dave Hall

you're welcome... have a great Christmas!

Clamps. No woodworker ever has enough
A precision marking gauge.
A good (as in Starret) combination square -- $150 or so from Lee Valley
Hock irons for his planes.
A really good blade for his table saw.
--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Doesn't have to be tools. What kind of wood does he like?? A variety of walnut, cherry, mahogany to stock up the pantry will always bring a smile.

Didn't you read the whole thread? He is already getting wood for his birthday ;)
Dave Hall

to have more than one of. I appreciate all of your help. I want to be able to surprise him with some items that he won't be expecting.
Too late feor this year, but you should encourage him to go on Amazon.com and make his personal "wish list". This allows people to look him up, and see what he wants. Kinda like a wedding registry.

sniop snip snip.................
Have not read the other replies....
BUT
I would Hand him a few Catalogs or better yet go with him to a woodcraft store etc....not Home Depot etc...and before your get out of the car (or hopefully the truck) ..Just tell him he has 45 minutes to blow (x) $$$$ on himself ... Before HE took you out to dinner...
Bob Griffiths