Looking for Xmas gift ideas for husband

Page 1 of 2
This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic that I can prevail on you once again. I'm looking for either little fun tool gadgets or big ticket tool items. But here's the catch. He has most of the saws, miters, planers, joiners, dust collectors, sanders, drill press, etc. And he has all the smaller stuff too - like the clamps, drills, hand sanders,and so on. His woodworking activities include making things like cribbage boards, jewelry boxes, and items along those lines. He also uses his tools for repairs around the house and such.
I try to pick up the latest gadgets that are advertised on TV -like the laser level tool toy last year. This year I saw an add for a new Black and Decker Measuring Tape that automatically propels the tape forward. Thought I'd pick up one of those. But that's just a toy -probably not even that powerful since it runs on a few AA batteries.
I want to get him a few tools in the $50-$100 range or maybe one big tool gift in the $300-$500 range. But I haven't a clue what he needs (or wants). I notice that he bid on a some tool items on EBAY - a saddle-square, sliding square, T-bevel, and Center Scribe. He didn't get the items. I know he has these already so I'm wondering if these are tools that a woodworker hobbyist would enjoy having several of?
I welcome any ideas for gifts. And any input on tools that it's great to have more than one of. I appreciate all of your help. I want to be able to surprise him with some items that he won't be expecting.
Thanks, Kathleen
You didn't mention a lathe. I just received a Jet Mini lathe for my birthday and am really looking forward to learning to turn wood. It was only about $195 + $50 for the bed extension from Amazon after their $25 Jet discount. If he has one, maybe some nice turning tools.
Also, the Grr-Ripper System safety device (push block) is really cool. Lee Valley has the best price at about $59. It runs about $69 everywhere else. Rockler has the base unit and it may seem cheaper but factor in the attachment kit and it is more.
Additionally, if he doesn't have one, the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig kit is very handy for about $130- $140.
One thing I am coveting and you could mention this to my wife is a big tool chest. There is a good sale at Sears with a coupon for super saver days that brings a Grip Latch Ball Bearing set down to about $450. That would be pretty sweet. Does your husband have good tool storage?
By the way, you are a great SWMBO to think of and encourage his hobby for gifts. My wife does the same and its great. Many wives don't. Good luck,
Eric T
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 02:27:20 +0000, Kathleen wrote:
[snip]

Do you have a sister?
- Doug

Get him something good. Doesn't matter too much what it is, but most well-equipped woodworkers already have everything they "need" (or else they'd already have bought one). What they appreciate now is a _good_ one.
Avoid power tools. Nearly everything is badly made rubbish. It's hard to get the right thing. Woodworkers _hate_ cheap gift sanders !
Japanese saw - a good dozuki (wooden handle as a minimum) is always welcome, because they come in a dozen different sizes so it's unlikely to be a duplicate, even if he already has one.
Sub to Fine Woodworking
Scraper plane. A #80 (cheap Stanley) or a #112 (Lee Valley / Lie-Nielsen, not so cheap). Most people have never used a scraper plane, and they're missing out.
Block plane. He's got one already. Get him the Lee Valley low-angle adjustable-mouth block plane and show him what he's been missing. Their shoulder plane looks good too.
Sketchbook. A hardback bound journal of excellent lined paper, an artist's medium cartridge paper bound sketchbook, some good cheap pens (pigment ink 0.7mm fibretips), a clutch pencil (0.7mm, with soft 2B leads) a box of mixed-grade Derwent brand pencils (they do excellent sets in tins), a workshop-proof pencil sharpener and a big artist's rubber. Try to find a tin for all the pens and rubbers.
Tape Measure. The recent big yellow Stanleys, with the "leverlock"on the _base_. This is one of the very few tape measures with a lock that actually works (only the leverlock on the base)
Matched set of hardware for a project. Read the LV hardware catalogue and find some top-end Brusso hinges, locks and drawer knobs (or whatever) to make a jewellery box / humidor / fishing tackle box.
Timber. A couple of boards of walnut, birdseye maple, or something really nice that he wouldn't normally buy.

That's always awkward. Things like combination squares though, people often make do with a poor one, but they'd really love a decent one (Mitutoyo or Starrett) instead.

Next Fall, leave a Lee Valley catalogue lying around with a marker pen tied to it. Tie some tinsel and a sprig of holly to the pen, if he really needs a hint.
--
Smert' spamionam

If he isn't big on hand tool woodworking already, almost anything from Lie-Nielsen would be good. The quality is enough to convert someone to the handtool side, and the stuff pretty much looks like works of art.
If he already has & uses handplanes, then a scraper plane is an excellent idea...it's one of those revelation type tools, the first time you use it.

This is English English. He means erasers.
John
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:39:33 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

thank you for clarifying that, John.. lol
mac davis wrote:

Clarifying what? What's an eraser got to do with a tin for all the pens and rubbers? lol
Eric
Wed, Dec 8, 2004, 2:27am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net (Kathleen) says: This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic <snip>
If it was me you were buying for, I'd say high heels, garter belt, stockings, lingerie. Then you wear them.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss
Different kind of tool, J T.
(Kathleen) says:

LOL. He's getting this for his B-day. :-)
Vic Baron wrote:

JPGs please.
____

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

I'm w/ Owen on this one. I suspect we'd be willing to waive the size restrictions. %-) Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Since I seem to be a late arrival to this thread: Do you have /two/ sisters?
An absolutely splendiferous gift might be one of the tool chests from Gerstner & Sons. Most woodworkers seem to have difficulty spending on one of these for ourselves; but I've never met a ww'er that didn't drool over 'em. They have a web site at http://www.gerstnerusa.com/toolchests/41d.htm
You should be able to find better prices from sources other than the manufacturer (although the other sources probably won't offer the same selection.)
I don't have any connection with the company - and I've never been able to justify buying one of these things for myself.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

They also offer a couple of their chests in half-price unfinished kits. Nice idea for a woodworker who can do handwork and finishing, but doesn't have the machinery to do one from scratch. You could also put an ammonia fumed finish on it, rather than their usual fairly boring oak finishes.
--
Smert' spamionam

Gift certificate to Lee Valley tools???

I don't think that you can ever go wrong with gift certificates..
They let him pick what he wants/needs and still let him know that you put some thought into what he'd like..

I've always been able to find something unique in Lee Valley Tools' woodworking gift section.
http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.asp?pageE472&category=4,104&ccurrency=1&SID
Your Hubby is one lucky man!!! Can you come over and talk to my SWMBO about xmas gifts.

If it were me, I'd really like a gift certificate to Woodcraft. If Woodcraft is not nearby, then Home Depot will do. I do not like others choosing my tools nor my underwear. Getting someone something that is not really needed or wanted puts them on the spot--you have to act surprised and appreciative even when you are not. If he doesn't have safety equipment (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, ear protection, quality dust mask, face shield) it will be a thoughtful gift.