Looking for Workbench Help

I have been searching the web for a set of steel legs to build a mobile workbench with little to no success. I am turning to the collective knowledge of this group assuming that someone else on the planet has had the need for a mobile workbench.

While my immediate uses will be a sanding and finishing area, I can see it also being used with my benchtop planer and or another type of stationary tool in the future.

I would prefer just the frame, legs that can accept casters, and possibly either angles for lower shelf or just steel stringers to keep it ridgid and steel frame for top support, basically the bench minus the working and shelf surfaces.

Has anyone else tried looking for something like this??

While I want it to be somewhere in the meduim to heavy duty range keeping away from the flex steel frames that are coming out of China.

Mobility is absolute, as I have all of my equipment in an open shop area at work and although it has not happened, yet, I may have to move it out of the way at some point. All my stationary equipment are on mobile stands for this purpose, and currently my boss has no problem with me taking over this area as long as it remains mobile.

HELP

SteveA

Reply to
SteveA

Lee Valley has cast iron legs and the hardware to make them into a sturdy tressle. But they aren't exactly cheap.

"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Flip down casters.

Like this:

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Mar 4, 8:25=A0pm, DonkeyHody wrote: I think I've seen some legs like that at Home Depot. Not sure of sturdiness or cost.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Have you looked at the adjustable shop stand from Rockler?

Personally I would just build it out of 2x4s. Two 2x4s glued together make an excellent leg, and if you make some cuts on one you get easy half lap joints for your side frames. If you really wanted to put it together fast you could connect your stretchers with pocket screws. I'll bet you could build the whole thing faster than you could put in all the damn bolts on those metal stands if you put your mind to it. And you could buy the pocket hole jig if you didn't have one already and still come out ahead cost wise.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Check with Grainger or a similar industrial supply outfit that deals with materials handling equipment. Might take a while to wade through all the options they present but well worth the look. Grainger I know has many leg sets, and the tops to go with them.

JDH

Reply to
JDH

Norm Abrams (sp?) (New Yankee Workshop) did a show on this issue a while back. He found a shop with flip down caster benches and built one that way in that show. I tried to look at the links another poster gave for flip down casters, but it didn't work.

Here's the link you need to Norm's mobile bench:

Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

Go to the McMaster-Carr web site

and look at

Workbench Tops & Legs Page 1623 Workbench & Table Legs Page 1624 Table Legs & Workbench Bases Page 1625 Workbench Bases & Drawers Page 1626

Reply to
Bob Kirkpatrick

Woodcraft has something similar:

Larry Blanchard

I'm pretty sure both Grizzly (grizzly.com) and Woodworker's Supply (woodworker.com) carry steel legs. Adapting wheels shouldn't be difficult. Lee Valley has some great cast iron legs, but they are expensive.

Reply to
Charlie Self