Looking for toybox plans

'got any interesting ones? most I've seen are a boring rectangular box w/hinged lid & rail (rendering it as a convertible seat) - whoopee. I have a plan in mind - actually, the one my dad built me way back - but I'd love to see what others have thought of.

THanks!

Reply to
PuffnStuff

I built one for my kids several years ago ..

It is a large cabinet ~ 4' wide, 3' high, 2' deep with an open front full of drawers. For drawers I used Rough Tote containers with lids, that could easily be removed and replaced. It holds 12 boxes - 3 columns of 4 drawers. Inside there are 2 dividers. To hold the boxes on their molded lips I put runners that go most of the depth of the cabinet so they can be pulled out

2/3 with out falling, and can be removed and replaced easily by kids. The Rough Totes work well for storing kids toys like lego, crayons, dolls, meccanno, etc.

If there was a complex part, it was getting the measurements right for the runners and the spacing between them so the boxes would fit with lids.

I built it out of 3/4" and covered it with laminate. It is now 6 years old and still provides practical storage.

Reply to
Matt

Lon Schleining's book "Treasure Chests" has a nice one - a red barn. Traditional rural Americana with a hipped roof. Doesn't look hard - mainly plywood with overlayed details.

Best thing for the lid is Lee Valley's viscous damper. Solves the finger trapping problem and it's better than springs or friction.

Andy Dingley