Looking for the Ultimate Pushstick?

Page 2 of 2
Charles Spitzer wrote:

It's no end of fun watching my 7lb female tabby play with them (or any other insects) until the bug just dies from exhaustion. She can throw them 8-10 feet with a flick of her wrist and then catch them before they hit the ground again... wish I had that on video :-)

Man, Them cats are lucky they dont set stung! Thanks, Tony D
what kind of traps do you use Larry? I have a racoon that has pissed me off one too many times tipping my garbage cans over. SWMBO is a total tree-hugger and thinks the thing "needs to eat, too", but IMO it's time I need a new striped push stick hehe
Mike

We have a garden too and SWMBO has designated me chief pest controller. I use havahart and have good things to say about their product (no connection, blah,blah,blah) http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cageproduct.htm I've caught coons, cats, and skunks with their #1045. I also use #1025 for the squirrels and rodents.
Moles are a different story. Those little monsters I want dead and have had the best luck with a Victor Out O' Sight Mole Trap http://www.crittercontrol.com/catalog/enter.html?target=p_158.html&lang=en-us [watch the wrap] I wasted a good 2 weeks learning the hard way that the little buggers are too smart for my gopher traps.
Art

Wood Butcher wrote:

Feh. We had mice at the flea bag apartment we lived in after we got married.
I got one of those humane traps, caught one of the little buggers. When I found it, it looked pretty sad, and I felt bad for the poor little creature that was just trying to eat too.
So I took it out and let it go.
It came back. Same one.
Little bastard shit in my raisin bran as a way of thanking me for its life, and then it shit in my silverware drawer. It finally chewed into a can of baby formula, which was the last straw.
So I got a more traditional back breaker model.
It took the bait without springing the trap.
I fiddled with the trap, adjusted it so that it was almost impossible not to trip it.
It took the bait without springing the trap.
I put peanut butter on it.
It took the bait without springing the trap.
I was working night shift. I came in from work one morning, and lo, right in my living room, was the mouse.
It just sat there, looking at me. Not even afraid. Waiting for me to feed it, I guess, since it had already eaten the bait off the trap.
I walked into our bedroom, expecting it to be gone when I came back. It had moved further toward the kitchen, but it was just poking along like it had all the time in the world. Quite comfortable, and at home.
So I shot that little bastard right in the head point blank with my pellet gun, and splattered its little mousey brains all over the wall.
Problem solved.
I sure don't miss that apartment, or the mice. Nowadays it's not a problem. My pushsticks get cat slime two times a day. If they want a between meal snack, they have to eat moles and mice. It's a good arrangement.
Racoons are harder to trap. About the only live trap I've seen that works is a 55 gallon drum with an open top. Put a ramp/board leading up to the top and hang some goodies from fishing line about a foot down (line opposite side of ramp). When the go for the food, they fall in. Of course then the tricky part is moving 55 gallons of ticked off racoon someplace where he won't come back.
It is much simpler to just shoot them. My wife was completely against the destruction of the "cute" things till they had pulled up all of her flowers for the 3rd time one spring and destroyed a huce hanging flower basket. Don't know what the flowers ever did to them, but they sure did carry a grudge that year!
Jim

Right! Called Game Warden to do something about one that trapped himself in a dumpster, he just asked how long until the *pickup* and shot it. Said once they've become a nuisance they keep finding their way back, so simpler to dispose of them. Nahmie
Mike in Mystic wrote:

I have to agree with your SWMBO, plus they do keep the small rodent population down.
I just posted a picture of me and my buddy Bert. It used to cause quite a stir in the neighborhood when we would put him on his leash and go for a walk.
ARM