Looking for stain

I am looking for a stain that will bring out the grain and give me a nice dark red color with red oak. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Russell Smith

Red Mahogany

Reply to
Steve

I use the following water-based stains then coat with l lb shellac then apply a glaze of vanDyke brown

've used antique cherry red with antique cherry brown in various small volume proportions until I got the shade of red-brown I liked on scraps or red oak. Then I mixed up two quarts of the color.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Agree with the red mahogony. However - since you're using red oak - you might try Minwax oil based natural. I think you'd be well pleased with the results.

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

That Minwax stuff is only good on pine aint it? It blotched every both times I have used it on oak.. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Try a 50/50 mixture of Minwax Golden Oak and Provincial. That has become my favorite for red oak. Not to dark or to light and really brings out the grain. Try it on a piece of scrap.

Reply to
Mike S.

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:29:54 GMT, "Leon" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

if you are looking for a good treatise in staining pine, look here

old Jums knows his poop

*G* Traves
Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:01:27 -0500, Traves W. Coppock pixelated:

I'll let that one go.

And here's where to look for info on what to do after you've processed that pineywood that way:

is a handy link for the pukey duck builders as well.

--== Join your local chapter today! ==--

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wish I could take credit for that article Traves - however that one was written by the other jim mc namara a.k.a. domingo rose. I haven't seen him post here in quite some time, but he's a staining guru IMHO and very knowledgeable. Hell - do you think I know that many words to write an article like that? LOL!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I tried "Many" different stains and none of them would give me a "Dark" red finish until I tried a water based General Finishes Rosewood stain. You can see pics on my website. The picture on the fron page is not to accurate but if you co to the end table picture gallery, you will see it in a good representation.

A few notes.

  1. Wet the project first and let it dry completly, then sand down the raised grain before staining. I wouldn't go finer than 220, maye 320 or the stain doesn't take as well.

  1. Really grind it into the grain to overcome the water surface tension and get it into the grain lines. Then paint it on thick and even, it can blotch. After 15 minutes when it's real dry, gtind some more than wipe clean.

Reply to
Bill Wallace