Looking for stain

I am looking for a stain that will bring out the grain and give me a nice dark red color with red oak. Any suggestions?

Red Mahogany

I use the following water-based stains then coat with l lb shellac then apply a glaze of vanDyke brown
http://homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/TransFastdyes.htm
I've used antique cherry red with antique cherry brown in various small volume proportions until I got the shade of red-brown I liked on scraps or red oak. Then I mixed up two quarts of the color.
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Agree with the red mahogony. However - since you're using red oak - you might try Minwax oil based natural. I think you'd be well pleased with the results.
Jums
That Minwax stuff is only good on pine aint it? It blotched every both times I have used it on oak.. LOL
wrote in message:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:29:54 GMT, "Leon"

if you are looking for a good treatise in staining pine, look here http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/7_17mcnamarart.html
seems old Jums knows his poop
*G* Traves
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:01:27 -0500, Traves W. Coppock

I'll let that one go.
And here's where to look for info on what to do after you've processed that pineywood that way:
http://www.Bonfires-R-Us.borg
This is a handy link for the pukey duck builders as well.
--== Join your local chapter today! ==--
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================
I wish I could take credit for that article Traves - however that one was written by the other jim mc namara a.k.a. domingo rose. I haven't seen him post here in quite some time, but he's a staining guru IMHO and very knowledgeable. Hell - do you think I know that many words to write an article like that? LOL!
Jums
out of the shop and said. . .:

Try a 50/50 mixture of Minwax Golden Oak and Provincial. That has become my favorite for red oak. Not to dark or to light and really brings out the grain. Try it on a piece of scrap.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net