looking for source of cheap square drive screws

Page 5 of 5
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 03:36:25 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

I'd like someone to come up with a CREDIBLE cite on that. It appears to fall into the "urban legend" realm.

Simple Google search for about 30 seconds will get that information right from the horse's mouth, but....
Unfortunately the information has been removed from the Phillips manufacturer website, recently
http://www.marfas.com/phillips.shtml
http://www.justbrits.com/pozi/pozidriv.html
------------- I'd like someone to come up with a CREDIBLE cite on that. It appears to fall into the "urban legend" realm.
------------- wrote in message

     snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Mainly I can find references to more recent cross-slot designs being intentionally designed not to cam out the Phillips do. That's more recognition of how they work than it is backing up a claim of intent.
Phillip's patent certainly doesn't acknowledge the cam-out. It suggests the design is more effective for high torque (and compared with slotted drivers it is).
The only reference I see to camming action is the claim (about screw and driver meeting):
This same angular formation of both elements is especially designed to also create what might be termed a camming action during the approach of these angular faces toward one another with respect to any substances which might have become lodged within the recess of the screw.
He continues to claim that this action causes the driver to expell any gunk that was in the screw.
http://www.google.com/patents?vid 46837
Of course, high-torque cam-out may have been added in later refinements to the design.
--
Drew Lawson While they all shake hands
and draw their lines in the sand
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:13:56 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

I believe it happens - I just do not believe it was " Designed to do it"
On 1/18/2012 10:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

http://www.marfas.com/phillips.shtml
On 1/20/2012 7:14 AM, Leon wrote:

The designed to cam out is also the reason that Philips head dry wall screws are manufactured this way.

I'm with clare. I think the torque camout is a result of marketing spin rather than design. When you spin it in and hit "tight", torque causes a cross axial movement of the screwdriver, hence the "design feature" camout. Tool user failure, not the design, is the key.
I dare someone to set up a real torque test of phillips screws and try to prove design on this.
-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807
On 1/17/2012 11:25 AM, woodchuck wrote:

Look in your phone book and see if you have a Fastenal store in your area. Kinda like having a local McFeeleys. Here is a reference: http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex
Don't limit yourself to square drive, how about Torx? Stainless? Silicone bronze?
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Does Fastenal sell to the public? Do they carry any inventory? The local "stores" aren't all that big.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:25:20 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Both in my immediate area sell to anyone with money and carry a god stock of the commoner stuff - and can order the esoteric stuff for next day. Also lucky enough to have Spae-Naur/Kemsies virtually in my back yard - with HUGE inventory of just about any fastener you could ask for.