looking for source of cheap square drive screws

Back when the flat screws were very common, one of the guys that worked for my dad as an electrician used to drive the screws in with a hammer. He said the head was just to remove the screw.
That is usually the "plumber's screwdriver" joke!
-------- wrote in message Back when the flat screws were very common, one of the guys that worked for my dad as an electrician used to drive the screws in with a hammer. He said the head was just to remove the screw.
On 1/18/2012 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:

That would not surprise me but I have always had this problem now and then.
On 1/18/2012 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:

Thinking more about this, I wonder if the heat generated when driving or removing the screw causes the bit to grab the bit more tightly. That would certainly explain why this is not a constant problem.
On 1/19/12 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:

Are you using summer screws or winter screws? :-)
--
Froz...

Yeah... that could be it as the type of "coat" they wear could be a factor.... the light grey hot dipped ones seems to be sticker than the newer dark ones... ;~)
John
I have a bit, I use right now, on a Milwaukee impact screwdriver that sticks inside screws badly. It has seen a lot of wear and tear and when it sticks there is no "wiggling it back and forth". The damn screws won't come off with a hammer! I have to screw the screw back into the hole of a piece of wood and use the leverage of the drill to "snap" them apart.
This is from using the non-Robertson (SquareDrive) screws on the Robertson bit. Impact drivers make this situation worse, faster. The square edged sockets of the screws cut into the taper of the Robertson bit and eventually put notches in the corners of the bit so the screw can wedge itself onto the bit by hooking onto the edges of the notches..
Yeah, even the good Robertson bits need to be replaced every few thousand screws. Funny how the old cheap ones are still working but the new ones, no matter what you pay work for a few weeks.
Don't buy the Robertson coloured bits at HD, in Canada. I have tried a few that came out in the last year, or so, and they are good for a dozen screws and then garbage. Yes, they appeared to have hardened insert tips in them, too and they were about $4 each.
------------ "Leon" wrote in message
Basically I can have to wiggle the driver and bit back and forth to work it loose from the screw. This is a reap PIA when removing several screws and they will not come loose from the driver bit.
Now having said that I have been using square drive screws for probably 25+ years exclusively except when they are not available. I have no intention of switching.
That is usually the American and oriental sources cloned squarehead screws on a Robertson screwdriver infiltrated into the Canadian market as the same style to unknowing customers. The square socket has a sharp ridge around the socket at the entrance end and cuts into the taper of the driver. When styles match the locking together doesn't happen.
---------------- "Leon" wrote in message
The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the drill and bit off of the screw. Yes this happens more often than I wish and normally when I am reaching into the back of a cabinet mounting drawer slides and or supports.

Then you don't have a good robertson bit. Never had a problem getting the bit out of the head - or keeping it in when i wanted it in.
On 1/18/2012 5:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Where would one get a good Robertson bit? I get mine from McFeeleys and Kreg.

I buy my driver bits in bulk from Lee Valley Tools. But, I use magnetic type bits not the shanked ones. (Except for some I bought for the Yankee Screwdriver clone I bought from them.) I don't know if LV sells the shanked ones or not. I suspect they do.

My current set are Rack-a-Tiers. Bought them at my local electrical supply house - Guillevin International.. The beggars were $8 each, or something like that - but they WORK.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:36:22 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I pay about $0.80 apiece for mine. I go through 2 or 3 per deck using the Makita impact driver. On the Ryobi drill driver, they last for a year.
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:56:00 -0800, Larry Jaques

At $0.80 each you get what you pay for - mabee.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:49:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

At $0.80 each, I can find them here, same day, or I can keep a stock of them as I usually do. Isn't a year long enough life for you? ;) For decking, driving 3-1/2" or 4" screws into lumber all day is a real killer of bits. They wear out/round over @ 1,350 lb/in and 2,800bpm.
As with all consumables, I charge the $2.40 to the client. Yeah, I get what I pay for. The "good" bits from LVT and other places don't hold up much better, and they will snap at the tip, leaving the aluminum holder intact. The occasional bad bits from other sources @ $2-3 apiece don't hold up nearly as well.
I'm very happy with the $0.80 bits. I get ten to your one with decent life. What's -not- to like? They're a very good value.
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman
On 1/19/2012 6:39 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Life expectancy is not the issue, being able to simply remove the bit from the screw is.

Correct. A properly shaped bit that STAYS that way.
On 1/18/2012 7:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: g

I'll look into that. May I ask how many screws you typically go through in a year?
I am noticing that the bits may actually be Racky brand bits sold by Rack-a-Tiers, an electrical supply company. And that probably explains why they are more expensive although buying on line puts them in the $3.95~$4.95 range.
http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/products/category/Colored-Racky-Bits
And Sold here
http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/RT/Racky_Bits.htm
On 1/19/2012 7:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Oh boy, how handy, color coded bit drivers: "No Jesus, the fuschia one! How many times I gotta told you, two? You musta voted for Butch!"
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010