looking for source of cheap square drive screws

Coloured handles only. Robertson never had a #2 bit.

(notice that "u" in "colored"? We added it to resolve the "n" word problem"

I been developing two sets lately. A set for the workshop and a set for lazy me when I don't feel like the 3m trek across the snow.

John

Reply to
m II

The BEAUTY of a robertson screw is you can stick the screw on the driver - point it vertually ANYWHERE and not worry about loosing the screw when you try to start it - even into sheet metal or wood with no pilot hole drilled. Makes it's own awl.

Reply to
clare

I've likely got 10 or 12 - and I've used them all - a LOT.

Reply to
clare

Yeller, green, red and black are the 4 common ones,

Reply to
clare

The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the drill and bit off of the screw. Yes this happens more often than I wish and normally when I am reaching into the back of a cabinet mounting drawer slides and or supports.

Reply to
Leon

A drywall screw is NOT a general purpose WW screw. They are are much too light weight and brittle. Yes dry wall are marginally better than the cheesy screws that come in those 70 cent packages but many times less desirable than actual square drive wood screws.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:27:31 -0600, Leon

If you don't have them, then you need driver bits that socket onto the screwdriver, not are just held on magnetically. But, it makes me wonder what it is that you are doing differently or perhaps purchasing differently. It's quite rare for me to experience what you have.

Do you generally use a drill/driver or have you been using an impact/driver drill?

Reply to
Dave

That is usually the American and oriental sources cloned squarehead screws on a Robertson screwdriver infiltrated into the Canadian market as the same style to unknowing customers. The square socket has a sharp ridge around the socket at the entrance end and cuts into the taper of the driver. When styles match the locking together doesn't happen.

The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the drill and bit off of the screw. Yes this happens more often than I wish and normally when I am reaching into the back of a cabinet mounting drawer slides and or supports.

Reply to
m II

Dave wrote the following:

Well, I know what clare is saying. A few years ago I replaced all the wood fencing on my property line with vinyl fencing using white painted aluminum square drive screws. Yes, I used the magnetic drill extension because I might have to change from screwing to drilling. I was using a Ryobi 18 volt power screwdriver. The Ryobi had a magnetic plate on the base where I could hold the drive bit or the screwdriver bit until needed. Sometimes the bit stuck in the square drive screw as I pulled the magnetic driver extension away. Other times, the bit fell from the extension, or the screw head, into the grass and I had to search for it, a few times unsuccessfully. I realize that the painted screw heads likely caused the bit to stick. Even with all that, I would still use the square drive screws in exterior work where available.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote the following:

I misspelled 'drill bit'.

Reply to
willshak

He probably means "Robertson."

Reply to
phorbin

No... the post I responded to talked about "star head" screws... Everyone is taking this out of context as they didn't follow the thread!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I don't use magnetic bit holders, the bits chuck mechanically into either the impact or drill chuck, and lately the Snappy Quick release chuck.

Now I may have misspoken, I was referring to screws that fit the bit tightly enough that you don't have to worry about them falling off. I often have this problem with square v.s combo screws from McFeeleys and Kreg.

Reply to
Leon

Basically I can have to wiggle the driver and bit back and forth to work it loose from the screw. This is a reap PIA when removing several screws and they will not come loose from the driver bit.

Now having said that I have been using square drive screws for probably

25+ years exclusively except when they are not available. I have no intention of switching.
Reply to
Leon

Why bother reading what was actually posted when you shoot off your mouth with opinion and no facts. Hey, works for most of my posts.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Then you don't have a good robertson bit. Never had a problem getting the bit out of the head - or keeping it in when i wanted it in.

Reply to
clare

Where would one get a good Robertson bit? I get mine from McFeeleys and Kreg.

Reply to
Leon

Do you use ball retainer types? They can usually be pulled without too much wiggling. Wire clip retainer types or magnetics will lost the bit when you do that. I switched over to ball retainer and have been much happier with square drive deck screws, those I use the most.

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The problem is not removing the bit from the drill, it is removing the bit from the screw.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:40:11 -0600, Leon

The reason I asked if you were using an impact drill/driver is that I've heard of some brands of Robertson screws misshapen slightly when the impact driver is working. It causes the screw to grab tighter to the bit.

Reply to
Dave