looking for source of cheap square drive screws

Page 1 of 5
My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square drive. No longer.
Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. Am I dreaming?
I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do, I'm fine with getting them.
HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around 18. I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.
Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? Do I need to get out more?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0612-FSL/6-x-1-14quot-Unplated-Steel-Dry-Lube-Flat-Head-Wood-Screws
1,000 for $21.85

Yeah.. shipping costs are the killer.
On 1/17/2012 1:27 PM, woodchuck wrote:

Yeah,,, Right now it is one dollar. And, they will probably be there in a day if you order early enough.
On 1/17/2012 11:25 AM, woodchuck wrote:

I will second Mcfeeleys screw. Unfortunately they will be higher quality that what you are looking for but will most likely be considerably less expensive that what you are buying now. Buy in lots of at least 100 at a time. Basically their average woodworking screw is 5 cents.
woodchuck wrote the following:

Did you ask anyone at the store?
Did you google - Home Depot square head drive screws or Lowes square head drive screws I did, and found them at both stores.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I have looked in the store itself. Online they show, but the are not in the stores. I suppose I could ask if they can get them.

Re: Mcfeely's --- what are there general purpose woodworking screws?

Canadians have known that for over 50 years - "robertson" screws are VERY common up here. Used to be they werer all Canadian made quality stuff, now much of it is the same cheap Chinese CRAP you guys get south of the lakes.

Head north.

Yeah but....
They always try to push off square drive screws and bits a Robertson.
If it has a number size it ain't "Robertson". Robertson has a Morse taper on the socket and it sticks to the driver and falls into the socket easily. Driver size match isn't critical for a tight fit.
---------- wrote in message wrote:

Canadians have known that for over 50 years - "robertson" screws are VERY common up here. Used to be they werer all Canadian made quality stuff, now much of it is the same cheap Chinese CRAP you guys get south of the lakes.

Head north.

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:04:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Naturally we've know that because Robertson was Canadian. One of the advantages of Robertson screws is that the square drive gives extra holding power which permits more torque on the screws. And if you're adding more torque, then you don't want a cheap version of the screw that might snap off. ~ Nothing more irritating. That is the biggest reason to buy better quality when it comes to square drive screws.

The BEAUTY of a robertson screw is you can stick the screw on the driver - point it vertually ANYWHERE and not worry about loosing the screw when you try to start it - even into sheet metal or wood with no pilot hole drilled. Makes it's own awl.
On 1/17/2012 9:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The draw back to the Robertson screw is that you can stick the screw on the driver and drive the screw into the wood and play hell pulling the drill and bit off of the screw. Yes this happens more often than I wish and normally when I am reaching into the back of a cabinet mounting drawer slides and or supports.

If you don't have them, then you need driver bits that socket onto the screwdriver, not are just held on magnetically. But, it makes me wonder what it is that you are doing differently or perhaps purchasing differently. It's quite rare for me to experience what you have.
Do you generally use a drill/driver or have you been using an impact/driver drill?
Dave wrote the following:

Well, I know what clare is saying. A few years ago I replaced all the wood fencing on my property line with vinyl fencing using white painted aluminum square drive screws. Yes, I used the magnetic drill extension because I might have to change from screwing to drilling. I was using a Ryobi 18 volt power screwdriver. The Ryobi had a magnetic plate on the base where I could hold the drive bit or the screwdriver bit until needed. Sometimes the bit stuck in the square drive screw as I pulled the magnetic driver extension away. Other times, the bit fell from the extension, or the screw head, into the grass and I had to search for it, a few times unsuccessfully. I realize that the painted screw heads likely caused the bit to stick. Even with all that, I would still use the square drive screws in exterior work where available.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

I misspelled 'drill bit'.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1/18/2012 8:26 AM, Dave wrote:

I don't use magnetic bit holders, the bits chuck mechanically into either the impact or drill chuck, and lately the Snappy Quick release chuck.
Now I may have misspoken, I was referring to screws that fit the bit tightly enough that you don't have to worry about them falling off. I often have this problem with square v.s combo screws from McFeeleys and Kreg.
On 1/18/2012 11:36 AM, Leon wrote:

Basically I can have to wiggle the driver and bit back and forth to work it loose from the screw. This is a reap PIA when removing several screws and they will not come loose from the driver bit.
Now having said that I have been using square drive screws for probably 25+ years exclusively except when they are not available. I have no intention of switching.

Do you use ball retainer types? They can usually be pulled without too much wiggling. Wire clip retainer types or magnetics will lost the bit when you do that. I switched over to ball retainer and have been much happier with square drive deck screws, those I use the most.
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman
On 1/18/2012 7:09 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The problem is not removing the bit from the drill, it is removing the bit from the screw.