looking for source of cheap square drive screws

My old HD used to carry a drywall sort of screw that had the square drive. No longer.

Compared to phillips, the square drive just seems superior to me. Am I dreaming?

I don't need high quality screws for most of what I do -- and if I do, I'm fine with getting them.

HD / Lowes now sells a 5# box of phillips drywall screws for around

  1. I'm looking for something equivalent but with square drive.

Or -- has square drive just become obsolete? Do I need to get out more?

Reply to
woodchuck

for $21.85

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Yeah.. shipping costs are the killer.

Reply to
woodchuck

I will second Mcfeeleys screw. Unfortunately they will be higher quality that what you are looking for but will most likely be considerably less expensive that what you are buying now. Buy in lots of at least 100 at a time. Basically their average woodworking screw is

5 cents.
Reply to
Leon

woodchuck wrote the following:

Did you ask anyone at the store?

Did you google - Home Depot square head drive screws or Lowes square head drive screws I did, and found them at both stores.

Reply to
willshak

I have looked in the store itself. Online they show, but the are not in the stores. I suppose I could ask if they can get them.

Reply to
woodchuck

They probably switched over to the combo screws.

lots to choose from.
1-5/8" only

-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Reply to
Larry Jaques

HD and Lowes carry deck screws with star heads. HD has them at one extreme end of the screw area and Lowes usually has them in their own space somewhere near the nails. Each box comes with the start driver (a tiny one) and for some reason they have a few different sizes which can be a hassle. I have an Itsy setup from Rockler that has all the drivers I could want so I am usually good.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Do you mean Torx head screws? They are what I use for deck screws... far superior to Phillips in that they don't strip out easily even if you don't get the bit fully seated.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I'm looking for a low-cost screw -- not a deck screw. Just a basic drywall type screw with square drive.

The deck screws are much too expensive for what I need -- just a general purpose ww screw.

I will check the McFeely's $1 shipping.

Reply to
kansascats

ttp://

Re: Mcfeely's --- what are there general purpose woodworking screws?

Reply to
kansascats

Yeah,,, Right now it is one dollar. And, they will probably be there in a day if you order early enough.

Reply to
Mike

Yeah, prob torx. I just never track nomenclature that closely. Looks like a start or asterick so I call it a star.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Canadians have known that for over 50 years - "robertson" screws are VERY common up here. Used to be they werer all Canadian made quality stuff, now much of it is the same cheap Chinese CRAP you guys get south of the lakes.

Reply to
clare

John Grossbohlin wrote the following:

They're not Torx.

bits are square
are what I use for deck screws...

Reply to
willshak

Yeah but....

They always try to push off square drive screws and bits a Robertson.

If it has a number size it ain't "Robertson". Robertson has a Morse taper on the socket and it sticks to the driver and falls into the socket easily. Driver size match isn't critical for a tight fit.

Canadians have known that for over 50 years - "robertson" screws are VERY common up here. Used to be they werer all Canadian made quality stuff, now much of it is the same cheap Chinese CRAP you guys get south of the lakes.

Reply to
m II

I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan, straight slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my drivers and I use them all!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Naturally we've know that because Robertson was Canadian. One of the advantages of Robertson screws is that the square drive gives extra holding power which permits more torque on the screws. And if you're adding more torque, then you don't want a cheap version of the screw that might snap off. ~ Nothing more irritating. That is the biggest reason to buy better quality when it comes to square drive screws.

Reply to
Dave

I got some drivers for Torx and have turned a total of about 5 of them in my life. OTOH: I bet you don't have a Robertson driver bit and never see one of those screws either.

I've got bits to drive Phillips, Torx, square, straight, Allan, straight slotted, and a couple different sizes of sheet metal screws for my drivers and I use them all!

John

Reply to
m II

If you're differentiating between un-numbered square drive bits and numbered bits I'm pretty sure I've still got both... I source bits from various places and the ones I ordered with my "meat powered driver" were numbered but I may have worn them out!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin