Looking for scroll saw info

Looking for info on a good scroll saw around $300. Also for advice/opinions on scroll saws and scrolling. Thanks
lrego wrote:

If you could spring for about $400 I recommend the DeWalt DW788.
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Tools-Benchtop-Drill_Presses-Benchtop-DeWalt-DeWalt_Heavy_Duty_20_Variable-Speed_Scroll_Saw_DW788/display_~reviews
Guess it depends on how much you are going to use it, and how in depth you're going to get into scrolling. $300 should buy a pretty nice saw. I currently have a Delta Shopmaster SS250, which cost less than $200, and works great. The adjustable speed and easy load blade clamps are nice. Like I said, not fancy, but for a beginner who probably won't be doing seriously complex designs any time soon, it's fine. good luck! George

I've a Delta 540 and love it, and it cost me way less than $300. I think the newer replacement model is also well under $300.
For scrolling etc, check out a local book store or this web site for a related magazine http://www.scrollsawer.com /
lrego wrote:

I have a Delta 16" single-speed which I bought for $AU200 ($US140) and I'm very happy with it. The main thing is that you have a good, well built unit that takes pinless blades, which are available in a wide variety of grades, types and uses. They are also generally thinner than pinned ones so they cut more intricate curves better and can be more easily threaded into small holes for fine fretwork.

Thanks for all your info. Great advice and informative ng. Larry

I too highly recommend the Dewalt scrollsaw. There is a ton of info on the internet. Try www.intarsia.com
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)
lrego wrote:

In making your decision see if you are allowed to turn the saw on and observe it's operation. With less expensive saws the arm isn't very stable when running, which causes the blade to appear much thicker than it actually is. This makes precision work nearly impossible and also gives a rough cut.