Looking for saw info

Hi,

I've posted here a long time ago about my free Walker turner 12" RAS. I got it for free if I got it out of the barn it was in. The restoration is going well if only at a snails pace. Should have it making sawdust by fall.

My new project saw is a rail panel saw I picked up on eBay for 99 bucks. My first guess was that it was a Hendrick, but after talking with them, they say it wasn't their baby. Their best guess was that it was a Peterson. I never heard of them and after a moderate search of the web, I seem to only find the lightest mention of Peterson. I'm not even sure of the company's correct name.

Here's what I have;

This is a massive rail saw that rides on 3 1/2" solid round rails. The rails are 85 1/2" between end brackets. It has a manual screw drive for the carriage, not a chain drive like a Hendrick. In the hidden places, it looks like it was painted with an olive greenish color, not as dark as the W-T green. Looks like it had a 14" blade on it with a 1" bore. The original blade guard was missing and was replaced with a homemade sheet metal/Plexiglas one. That is where I would have expected to see the name of the manufacturer. Motor info; U.S. Motor

3 ph 5 hp 3600 rpm @ 60 hz Serial # 123608 U.S. Electrical Mfg. Co. Los Angeles CA There is also a small metal tag riveted onto the motor body right next to the motor's ID plate. The small tag reads A678. The previous owner said it was in the shop since he was a kid. His Dad opened the shop in the 40's.

Any help at all would be great.

I now have a camera, so photos can be made available.

Thanks in advance, James

Reply to
James Tomalonis

Back in the late 80's a shop I worked in had a Peterson horzontal panel saw. At the time it was mentioned by one of the mill hands that the company (our company) had screwed up buying it as the company (Peterson) had gone out of business.

Not exactly the best of info to go on but...

In the mean time you might want to give the OWWM a try.

Unisaw A100