Looking for router lift recommendations

Page 3 of 3
"krw" wrote:

Hilti still makes a unit that uses .22 cal rim fire blanks.
Drive a nail into a steel ingot mold without a problem.
Lew

cement slab. I was enclosing a car/boat/port.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

As does Remington. Totally different beasties, though.
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 00:29:41 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

I have a cheap Remington that I use on concrete. It works well, though it needs a smart blow from a hammer to touch it off. If I ever need to drive more than a few I'll buy one with a real trigger.
Upscale wrote:

A woodworker needs a router, he doesn't need a shaper. Sticking a router in a table works, lugging around a shaper is tough. Shaper cutters are a good bit more expensive and harder to find. I can go to rockler or sears store and buy router bits, but not shaper bits. If you already have a bunch of good router bits, well, they won't work well in a shaper which generally spin less than 10,000 rpm. My recommendation for the home workshop is only get a shaper if you already have a router. A router is an ok shaper, a shaper doesn't work well with your dovetail jig...
--
Jack
Go Penns!
-MIKE- wrote:

My first guess is the 3/4 HP is OK, particularly compared to the "3 1/2 HP routers. I have a small Rockwell 1/2" shaper with a 1 HP motor. If you made a 1hp router out of it (the motor) it would take 2 guys to handle it.
Anyway, I never had a power problem with the shaper. 3/4 horse may be a little light but only for something like a large panel raising bit but I'd bet my 1 hp shaper will strain less than a 3 horse router doing the same operation. I'd be doing more than one pass for this anyway.
I tend to look at my shaper as a heavy duty router. I hate using a router for anything, they scream at you and sound totally obnoxious. Any time I turn on my router I understand why the hand tool fanatics stay away from power tools.
I'd buy the 1 1/2 horse for other reasons than HP rating though. Read the specs, you get two speeds - 7 & 10,000rpm, 1/2" and 3/4" spindles, larger spindle openings. These things are good, and if I were buying one, I'd surely go for the 1 1/2hp.
--
Jack