Looking for Plywood Workbench plans

I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?
Help apreciated
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
To be honest, just do a Google search on it (http://www.google.co.uk / search?hl=en&q=plywood%2C+workbench%2C+free+plans%2C +woodworking&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) and you'll get loads of ideas.
Barry www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Thanks barry
Been there, done that, got swamped.
BTW Like your site
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
A quick Google search returned 106,000 hits. You might find something in there. You could also hit the archives for "magazine index" and look up the article there. I posted the URL last week, so it may still be on your server.
Regards, Roy
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:57:17 +0900, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

Thanks Roy,
I tryed that one first but didn't have much luck
Bob has found it.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
Jerome Meekings wrote:

check out this plan that was featured in Fine Woodworking #181 "Tools & Shops Annual Issue"
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/store/pages/011208.asp
Bob

Thanks very much Bob that was the one I saw and was trying to find. Much appreciated
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Laminated plywood workbench base
with influence from Fine Woodworking #181, Bob C and others.
Small medium and full size Pictures http://preview.tinyurl.com/ynrxl6
One of the aims of this bench is to be massive when assembled but able to be knocked down and moved by one person. This is looking good at this point, the heaviest pieces are the ends at 12.5 kg and at this point it is about 50 kg (US 110 lbs) when I get a permanent top for it and cupboards under loaded with tools, I expect it will reach 150 kg
With too few clamps an average temp of 29C and humidity about 80% plus and having to squat on the floor to use a circular saw to rip the ply. The bench base took about 9 days to make.
I looked at various ways to make the mortices for the tenons and found that cling-film made the perfect covering for the spacer blocks
Studding (US all-thread?) is unobtainable without a lot of effort (and a 120 km drive), so I made do with 200 mm carriage bolts (10 Baht each). As the bolt heads would have too small a bearing surface in wood and would just pull through when tightened. I got some 38 mm wide steel strip, drilled a hole a little oversize for the shank, then used a big hammer to partly seat the square under the head to prevent the bolt spinning when tightened.
This meant that the bolts had to be captive. So as the horizontals were laminated from 5 strips of 20 mm ply I could cut into two of them to shape the hole. this was left open at one side to allow the bolt to be pushed home. The cutouts were designed to be slightly oversized to avoid binding, this has also meant that the workbench horizontals can float a little so the location of the bolt holes in the end pieces is not critical. I am thinking of using unglued dominos as locating pins to make assembly easier
The end pieces have 8 mm screwed inserts to allow feet to adjust for uneven floors
the bottom horizontals have a slimmer 5th section (size governed by the spare cutoff I had) this for the moment is used for a shelf but will be used to locate and locked-in lockable cupboards, they will be removable if the ends are unbolted but not just lift out. I am not sure yet if they will be full hight, a reason to make them a little under full hight would be for wood dust removal.
Future work Dominos to locate the horizontals Foot pads to go under the metal leveling screw feet Locked-in locking cupboards at least 2, this will make them about 60 cm wide Bench top. I have the ply and MDF cut to a rough size for one but am also thinking of making a second torsion box one.
Costs so far 20 mm ply sheets 2 @ 730 Baht 200 mm carriage bolts 8 @10 Baht steel strips 8 @ 5 Baht 20 mm MDF 1 @ 630 Baht screwed inserts 4 @ 105 Yen screwed feet 4 @ 150 Yen Polyurethane 250 ml 250 Baht
2775 Baht $81.64 40.82 9,572
1 USD 4 Baht 1 GBP h Baht 1 EUR F Baht 100 JPY ) Baht
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
Jerome Meekings wrote:

I see you found what you are looking for, but I made a mostly plywood based workbench from plans from American WW mag. I am extremely happy with it. I posted pics on abpw. If you are interested I could dig up the issue.
Dave

That would be very kind. A few scans or photos would put the icing on the cake.
I do read abpw but only for the last 6 months to year.
I plan on making a torsion box top with bench stop holes (needed for the new toy "a domino") with a plywwod laminated base frame.
This should do for the next 3~5 years until I build my final, only, purpose built 15M x 8M workshop
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Dang! A workshop that is 15 miles by 8 miles?? :-)
Wayne
Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

You would have plenty of room to stop though ;-)
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

That sure gives new meaning to the phrase, "Ah darn, it's on the other side of the shop."
Puckdropper

Wow, I feel dumb, I thought he was talking about 15 and 8 REAL nice feeet, like mmmmm.

The issue was American Woodworker Dec/Jan 2006.