Looking for plans for a "modern" style bed

Hi Everyone,

My beloved has decided that she wants a new bed. Most of the plans I have found are for shaker style furniture, 4 posters etc.

She is after something more "modern". No I can not define that better but I believe what she is after is the newer low style beds based along the Japanese styles. After slat style bed.

Any links or plans appreciated.

Reply to
<rocketrod63
[...]

Reconsider. Go into a furniture store and try getting up from low beds, then think about how to get up (or down) if you are unwell.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Get your beloved to help you with ideas. You can work together on a couple of things:

1) Have her come up with pictures of the kinds of beds she likes

2) Roam the furniture stores and pick out beds or features she likes. Take digital photos if the stores will allow it. Might as well look at the dressers and other accessories too - that will be next.

From that point you might be able to come up with your own design or modify an existing plan. The next small challenge in bed-building is the means of attaching head and foot to the side rails. There are several approaches and hardware is available (Rockler comes to mind first - there are others.)

Designing this kind of stuff is almost as much fun as building it.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

My beloved has decided that she wants a new bed. Most of the plans I have found are for shaker style furniture, 4 posters etc.

She is after something more "modern". No I can not define that better but I believe what she is after is the newer low style beds based along the Japanese styles. After slat style bed.

Any links or plans appreciated.

Reply to
W. Wells

I've been looking at lots of magazines trying to re-do the kitchen and see at lot of beds with headboards only. The mattress holders you can buy from a mattress discount place are sturdy (and have wheels, buy an upgrade of the one they give away) and don't show most of the time. If you make a fancy headboard as shown in the magazines you can even change it in a couple of years without getting a broken heart.

Some of these headboards remind me of fireplace mantles and look easy to build since fancy molding can be bought at Lowe's or Home Depot or ordered by mail. Others are just frames covered with artists' canvas and painted as desired - this could be bright purple with a dark purple line across the middle - or check out some of the Japanese art, some is very simple to copy.

Here's one that's probably not what she wanted but one of the billions that are easy to find on the internet - Google for headboards.

firstjois

Have the commandant in question put down her whip for a while and search the Web for something she likes, have her point it out to you, then you can do a much more meaningful search below to find a plan if necessary. Better yet, do your search first and show her -only- the plans you find. Don't overlook waterbed plans; Just resize them for a standard mattress.

(
has a nice one with some of the worst photography I've ever seen on a furniture site.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --
Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Collect furniture catalogues and websites. Find what you like (this may be more than one piece). Plagiarise.

Beds are pretty easy and the basic techniques translate across styles fairly well. Make it rigid though, they get a harder life than you'd think.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

are for shaker style furniture, 4 posters etc.

believe what she is after is the newer low style beds based along the Japanese styles. After slat style bed.

If you head to the newsstand and get this month's copy of Woodsmith, they've got a plan for a bed in it. Just make the frame, and then you can attach any style headboard you like to it. Still not sure what heck people are try to express when simply saying "Japanese-style" in appearance, but I figure if you shortened the legs a bit and painted it black, you'd be well on your way. AFAIK, the value of Japanese styling is in the really strong and interesting joinery- the "style" is often kind of a minimalist non-style that should be easy enough to design yourself.

Reply to
Prometheus