looking for opinions on Jet Lathes

I have the oppurtunity of picking a Jet Lathe up in the coming week it's a

36'',don't even know what it can or can't do opinions please anyone ? good / bad / points or basically all the same
Reply to
Dan Parrell

I have the Jet 1236. It's decent for spindle work and small to medium sized bowls. With a minimum speed of approx. 600 RPM it's not very good for larger unbalanced stock. Some people have complained about breaking the cast iron tool rest. I have not had a problem.

Nova

I also have the 1236. It is a decent lathe for the price. As long as you don't plan on making large bowls, this should do the job.

It is top heavy. I put a piece of plywood between the legs and put a sandbag on it and it is much better. I also replaced the tool rest that comes with it as I have heard it is prone to breaking.

Rob

Reply to
Rob