Looking for Molder / Sander / Planner

Page 2 of 2
I just ran my Woodmaster 18 over the weekend and was thinking about your earlier questions.
Regarding these new questions: 1. Yes speed does make a difference and slower is usually much cleaner. The planer is taking lots of little arced cuts. the more overlap the cleaner it will be. On big planers you can really see the difference. The Woodmaster feed speeds are pretty slow over all and even the fastest is still plenty clean.
2. In my experience the two drum sanders are not a big advantage over multi. Fo my usage I am using the wide sander to flatten panels and get a good even sanded start on all my stock for furniture. I don't look to the wide sander for fine sanding. I find a grit, 100, 120, 150 that cuts well and not too rough (wide belts\drums can get pretty smooth even with 100) and I hand sand out everything with a palm sander a few grits finer after that. So for me personnaly the concept of 100 on the front drum and 150 or 180 on the next is just a waste. Although having the secnd pass of the same paper is an advantage in speed.
The poiint that came to mind about my Woodmaster as a planer this weekend was that it's a real workhorse but not necessarily a fine finishing tool. The surface is plenty flat and nicely cut but for instance, I Ihaven't even tried to calibrate the thickness gauge. I just use this to get to a rough flat size. Unlike some expensive big units, like a commercial Invicta where you have a digital read out and you can get a glass looking cut to some precise measurement, the Woodmaster is just a workhorse. For molding it is top notch. If I had a good running desktop planer and I didn't do so much work that I was worried about the motor burning up, I might stick with it and go for a sander. Of course that doesn't solve the molding problem.
P.S. have you seen the (somewhat limited but really nice0 molding knove setup you can get for a table saw? I saw the guy that sells the purple ones at a show and they did a really great job. Really great.
HotRod wrote:

You need to explain this. Molding knives in a table saw? I'm going to do some leg work tomorrow and see what I can find at some of my large wood working shops. I'm trying to not be so tunnel visioned that what I get is only going to help me for this job.
I think Craftsman and Delt both sell these types of cutters for Tablesaws. This is the guy I was thinking of. You can only go so wide but I think the craftsman version lets you use succesive knives to do wide crown molding by doing several passes.
http://www.lrhent.com/magic.htm
Here is a few more links. Can't fand any good pics of it process though. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-Radial-Table-Saw-Molding-Set-18-Cutter_W0QQitemZ110046832904QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20791QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_13936_3897495,00.html
BW