Looking for large "oval edge" bit

I'm looking for an "oval edge" router bit with a bead length of 2 inches. Similar to this bit:

the "B" dimension at 2 inches. I've been unable to find any bit like this larger than 1.5 inches.

Roundover isn't quite what I'm looking for. This is a true oval profile.

I don't think a custom bit would be worthwhile; this is for a single application, and I don't expect to need this profile again.

Anyone know of a stock cutter (or two) that will do this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Art Greenberg

How about two passes? See 'Furniture Bit' on this page:

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yes! Thanks, that looks like it will be perfect.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Reply to
Pat Barber

Good! Maybe you could post results?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Have you consider ripping facets with a table saw, then sanding them smooth? What I often do for a thumbnail profile in 1" stock is use my 3/4" radius round-over bit to put a bit of a curve on the edge leaving a bit of a flat for the pilot bearing to ride on. After I follow that with some random-orbit sanding, you can't tell that it is not a continuous curve.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Can't use the table saw in this case. The edge I want to shape is curved.

I've considered using a round-over in the manner you describe, but that's not quite the profile I want.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

I do have a website with some photos of the work in progress. Check out:

past weekend I resawed the maple for the front, and completed most of the shaping of the wenge top. I need the oval cutter for the front edge of the wenge. I took some photos of that work, but I have not yet added them to the website.

I'll add more photos as I make progress.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

You are probably looking for a "thumb nail" bit. Try looking through a router bit catalog or searching the web for that shape and see if it's what you want. It's like a round over, but not a linear curve.

Reply to
Charley

Thanks. Close, but not quite there. The thumbnail bit would cut a shape similar to what I want. But I want that shape on the edge, in the same manner as a bullnose would be applied. The thumbnail bit is designed to put that shape on the top surface of a table, for example. It would not be practical to use it to apply the edge treatment I'm looking for, especially since others have pointed me to more viable atlernatives.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Had a look at the remodel pics while I was there. Very nice! But you've been dragging your feet on that mantel!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

A lot. Could have been a portable planer, or something. Its the most I've ever spent for a single piece of wood. Well worth it, IMO, as I got a really nice looking piece, and I don't have to fuss with trying to make that up with smaller pieces, or veneer on some other subsrate. But I have to tell you, I have been very nervous about cutting into it, and I have been very careful to measure, measure again, and verify my measurement before cutting. Using a template has taken some of the stress out of that, too.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

The only Wenge I have ever touched in in the neck of my two Warwick basses. I knew that had to come at a price.

That, plus the tiger maple, should give you an "instrument-grade" mantle :-)

Conteporary is not really my thing but I expect the final result will be stunning. please post to ABPW when you're done.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M