Looking for hand powered grinder

I'd like to buy a quality hand powered grinder that will handle a 5" or 6" grinding wheel at least 1" wide. I have been unable to find a source for new product anywhere. Yes, I know you kind find several on ebay. They are all antiques and in various, unpredictable condition with no idea what you are getting. I want a user tool, not a collector's item.
If you know of anyone that sells a hand powered grinder, please point me!
Bob
Bob wrote:

I think all the good ones *are* vintage. I can't imagine a manufacturer finding a market for a well made (not cheap) manual grinder in this day-and-age. Not with so many cheap vintage ones around :-)
If you have concerns over Ebay, I suggest finding a reputable s/h tool dealer.
BugBear
Bob wrote:

I doubt that you'll find non-electric ones new these days. AS for antiques, I've got a couple I use regularyly, and turned down a pair last weekend for about $15 each. You didn't say where you were, so I'd suggest looking in the local antique malls/shops.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Lehmans has one- 50 dollars US- but they show it as backordered. Listed under handtools .The last new one I bought was 9 dollars bout 10 yrs back from a surplus hardware store in Socal- calaero...

Thanks, Patrick.
For anyone else looking for information, I just received an email from someone who also gave me the link to Prairie Tool Company. www.prairietool.com
I read in old Google messages that grinders from this company are used at College of the Redwoods. They sell a 6" hand grinder for $36.00.
Bob

How about a tredle grinder? Seems more practical as it leaves your hands free to hold the work.

I've been considering doing this myself...any good sources for plans, etc? I've an old hand crank grinder I've thought of fitting out with a treadle.
Dan

NO idea. My uncle has one that he's using both as an "Objet d'Art" and to keep my aunt's knives sharp, but I've no idea where he scored it.
Greetings- I have a hand cranked grinder with a 6" wheel that clamps to a table, etc. Email me if interested. Jim in SE mich. snipped-for-privacy@flash.net

Anyone looking for a manual grinder should try these folks:
http://www.winkshardware.com /
I know they had one in stock a few years back, so they probably have a source.

Here's one on eBay, put this number in the search engine: 4326970434
Alex
patrick mitchel wrote:

http://lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID961&itemTypePRODUCT&iMainCatg7&iSubCat 6&iProductID961 http://www.prairietool.com / You'll have to download the catalog but they've got wet and dry hand grinders. Joe
possible duplicate, halfheimers kicking in:-)
patrick mitchel wrote:

http://lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID961&itemTypePRODUCT&iMainCatg7&iSubCat 6&iProductID961 http://www.prairietool.com / You'll have to download the catalog but they've got wet and dry hand grinders. Joe

[snip]
Yeah, and $49.95 for a "hand crank flashlight", tells you something about the rest of their prices too.
Alex