Looking for fellow packrats

Page 2 of 2
patrick conroy wrote:

Ah, that is something like I got to, except I have three; one for "primo" bits; must be over 24" long, usually wider, usually hardwood or premium ply. One Moderate cutoffs; stuff which *might* get used, but typically used for impromptu jig, push stick, etc. If it gets totally full, it is culled for firewood.
One straight off the saw/bench. When it is full, stuff either goes to the other 2 or get burned.

For some reason I have a hard time giving these up. Dunno why, they pretty much never get used, but they are long, dammit!
PK
Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus -no wait thats not the question Yes there are many pack rats -they come in all shapes and save all sort of articles- however i'm not fimilar with the term "scrap wood "-i never met a piece of wood i didn't want - much like a weed being a unwanted flower -sad ain't it. But some of its magic and some of its tragic...
Sat, Dec 11, 2004, 12:18am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wuzfuzde) says: <snip> i'm not fimilar with the term "scrap wood "<snip> I think it's Latin, or something, and means "sawdust".
It goes, wood, small pieces of wood, smaller pieces of wood, smallest pieces of wood, sawdust. You keep everything but sawdust, and even keep that in special cases. I've taken to keeping those plastic clothes washing soap jugs, rinsing them out, filling them with sawdust, and sticking them in the truck, for when I need some extra traction in the winter.
JOAT Remember: Nova is Avon, spelled backwards.
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:44:56 -0500, J T wrote:

nope. Latin for sawdust is "scobis." :)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:09:02 -0600, Australopithecus scobis

I'll just call you "Ozdust" from now on, Scoobie. (Fewer characters so it's quicker and easier to type.)
----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels -- http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================

I've saved every scrap for years. Finally I realized that this cannot continue. The wife just had the fireplace remodeled with a new wood burning insert. It produces a lot of heat from a little wood. We have managed to eliminate a lot of the scraps in the past month. Another month will eliminate most of the small stuff. Then I start cutting up the larger stuff.
Dick

Aye, you're not alone in this quest to keep everything because we might need it. John
foggytown wrote:

size... the last one is next to the fire pit..
You organized types give me a pain. And yet in my defence I have to say that after producing some of the best stuff I've ever made I looked behind me to a workshop that resembeled Pearl Harbor on December 8th. FoggyTown

to me, it's not organization, it's survival... lol If I didn't have places to store the scrap, I'd either trip over it, or throw it away and then have to buy wood for small projects and jigs.. I'm really glad that I decided against putting drawers under the workbench and went for a large shelf instead.. I throw most of the "useable" scrap there and figure that the weight might help stabilize the bench.. *g*

Weren't you the one who posted his frustrations at not being able to locate a specific 1x6 the other day? Maybe this is why:)
I have a daily struggle with that part of my brain that says "you may need that someday". I am trying to listen to the part of my brain that says "if that day comes, there is no way in hell you will be able to find it."
Frank
foggytown wrote:

Nope, you're not. Though I'm getting better about this since I built a semi-permanent "camping in the yard" fire ring. :)
foggytown wrote:

Dam no, my neighbours know who to ask for: 1. first (emergency) aid, even though I don't bring an ambulance home from work anymore. 2. help to jump start car. 3. open their locked front door, without keys.... 4. call for all sorts of wood should they not have what they need (they see me trailer it in often enough!).
I also collect useful fittings, plumbing odments etc, as well as wood.
Though with the last lot I sent one load west for a horse owner to make a rotdown box, and another south to a Scout group for next years campfires!
At work I'm the first one who gets asked, do you want that?
Recycle as much as possible, waste not want not still holds true for me!
Niel.
Badger wrote:

That reminds me of an interesting facet of being a packrat, and now I'm wondering if *I* am the only one.
I have a 3/4" boiler valve around here somewhere. I bought a 3/4" when I needed a 1/2", but rather than take it back, I just threw it in a drawer somewhere. I've done that quite often. If I buy the wrong size/type/whatever hardware/bits/bobs I'm as likely as not just to keep them anyway and then go buy the ones I did need.
It's really silly. No wonder all my closets and sheds are overflowing, and I've actually thrown some boxes in my attic, on top of the 24" of fluffyfill stuff. No wonder I have a trebuchet on my front porch.
(Although, hey, I made part of that trebuchet out of some chain I bought by mistake ages ago and threw in a box somewhere, and 3/4 of that thing is made out of stuff one of my neighbors threw away over the years.)
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:24:08 -0500, Silvan

thanks... now I don't feel quite as weird about having 2 or 3 small trebs in the garage!

I also have that "problem" When a friend asks "do you have?" I usually do have it. W W

I haven't thrown away a useful screw nut, fitting, bracket, etc. etc. etc. in at least 30 years... I have a wall of plastic bins...
The neighborhood comes to me when they need a odd bolt, etc... they all say "check with Mac, he has everything".. lol