looking for concave stock...

I would like to build a chip rack for a blackjack table. What I need is 1 x 1/12 square stock with 1 side ( on the 1 1/2 side) that has concave so as to accommodate a stack of chips.( that are 1 1/2 inch diameter).
Can someone tell me the name of what I am looking for...if it exists?
Thanks Brandon

Not sure it you can buy stock of the specific size you need, but you can purchase a router bit to cut the groove that you want. Of course, it depends on the radius of your chips, but there's a variety of sizes you can choose. Here's a few samples. If these aren't large enough, then it's a simple matter of making two parallel cuts instead of one exact cut to fit.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page0157&category=1,46168,46182&ccurrency=1&SID
Just one more point:
Make the stock thicker than needed for handling over the router (or shaper?) ...for safety. Then cut down to size on the table saw. If doing 2 or more, it's handy to do one side, turn over for the other, then saw down the middle.
Dan.

Brandon wrote:

OR use a drill bit the size that you need , drill into a over size block of wood, then cut in two.
--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold

Dave
Or cove cut it on your tablesaw.

This article might be of use: "Cutting Coves on the Tablesaw," in the January/February 2004 issue of Fine Woodworking (#168).
I'd start with wide stock, use double fences, push blocks, and very light passes. You'll want all ten when you are done :-)

I think I have a whiteside 1 1/2" cove bit I could sell you.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Gosh Steve, What kind of router does it take to swing that bit? Does the 1 1/2" indicate the radius or diameter of the cove? :-)

Collet diameter

diameter I think. I use a 2" in my table for the finger grooves. but I sure don't take much off (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Well, Norm had a 1 1/2" radius ovolo bit. :-)

I looked I only had the 1" and the 2" i think the both are 2" around and have a 2" radius. but I use so little it is not scary at all. I will wear the thing out one of these days but only the tip will be worn (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes