Looking for advice on a Rigid Bandsaw (model bs1400)

I have been lurking in this group for a long time now, and have finally decided it's time to step out of the shadows to seek your advice. I am, at best, a weekend woodworker. I love the hobby, but my darn job keeps gettin' in the way. Anyway, I have the opportunity to buy a second hand RIGID bandsaw, Model bs 1400 for $300.00 cdn. (maybe less depending on how negotiations go).The saw comes with 4 blades, 2 x 3/4 inch, 1 x 1-1/4inch, & 1 x 1-1/8. I have not seen the unit yet but he tells me it is only six months old and is in "like new" condition. He is selling it, along with all of his other tools because he doesn't have time to use them. I have read your comments in the past about buying the best you can afford, and it sounds like good advice, but quite frankly, I can't afford the best.
Home Depot in Canada sells new ones for $599.00 cdn.
Your advive is appreciated. Doug
Sorry, but I forgot to post the link to the website....... http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/BS1400-Band-Saw /

finally
at
gettin'
1-1/8.

1-1/8.
I'd go for it. I think there are better saws at higher prices, but I think for $300 CDN it is a good buy. Learn to use it and tune it up and you'll be very happy with it. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
BiffNightly wrote:

[snip]
Seems like a good price, I'd go for it. Those are some sizeable blades, used for resawing, I would think. You might want to invest in a smaller size for cutting curves. Also think about taking a look at whatever else he is selling.     mahalo,     jo4hn
On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:51:09 -0600, "BiffNightly"

looks like Yet Another Delta 14" Bandsaw Clone.
it's probably a decent machine. you're getting it at 1/2 price. sounds good to me....
BiffNightly writes:

I'd say go for it. Are you SURE, though, those are 1-1/4" and 1-1/8" blades? If so, open the top and bottom covers and check the wheel and tire for damage. I had one of these and the largest width blade that seemed acceptable to me (and, IIRC, the manual) was 3/4".
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
Good tip Charlie.. I did notice that the specs said the maximum blade width is 3/4 of an inch.
Having never owned a bandsaw before, I have to ask a question (or two), if there damage from the blade, is it an easy fix? More important is it a costly repair? Should I leave the saw. How much damage will the wheels take before it is a problem? Sorry I guess that's four questions.
Thanx in advance Doug

finally
at
gettin'
1-1/8.
and
other
blades? If

damage. I

(and,
intelligence
BiffNightly asks:

First, look and see if it is damaged. It may not be. Those blades may be brand new, or I could be wrong about what it will REALLY run. I do know some 14" bandsaws work OK with 1" blades, but it tends to make me itchy. Check the wheels alongside the tires for scoring, and check the tires for abrasions and scoring. Check the guides, above and below the table, for scoring. Look inside the guard for scoring...a flashlight helps here. Drop the guard all the way to the table, or as close as it will get, and look inside.
That's really about it. If there is no scoring on the wheels, then the damage is PROBABLY inconsequential, maybe even non-existent, and I'd go with it. Wheels tend to be a bit pricey, so check local costs before making up your mind, if one is torn up. A few scrapes won't be a problem, though, unless they're really deep.
I'd say the odds are still good you're OK, but, as I said, check it out.
Good luck.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
THANK YOU very much for your help!!

width
if
take